• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T says Verizon phones can't use the web on calls. But... um... they can.

I'm lost now. Can you search the internet while on a call with an Iphone?

You can with Droid 2 and doesn't have to be on Wifi. Just looked something up online yesterday while on a call.

Apple seems to put weird restrictions on their phones so users get NOTHING for free. When they didn't allow Google Voice on the Iphone it worked great for my Blackberry. But as soon as Apple allowed it in, Google Voice was revamped.

The long time steady outgoing call number suddenly began to change with every call. For those of us who got rid of landlines for some free minutes with GV, were now screwed.

That's some serious power to make Google change GV for everyone because Apple can't allow a few free calls. Sounds like world domination.

I just want to know the answer to the iphone issue because I buy and resell them. I will never own anything Apple until they stop world takeover.

You can't use data while on a voice call with ANY Verizon phone. Droid 2 included.

Upvote 0
Is there no interlacing of data/voice on CDMA?

I'd have to agree that there have been times whilst using the phone (In a call), and I can get new web pages...

Just tried. No data while in a phone call, even with both lines muted.

I'm going to test this, and see if it's during periods of silence, or something. I mean, your voice is just another packet (With higher priority) whilst using a cell phone...

Upvote 0
You can't use data while on a voice call with ANY Verizon phone. Droid 2 included.

This will however be changing when the Thunder Bolt is out. It has been confirmed to have simultanious voice and data capabilites. Something to do with the radio HTC is using with the new LTE network. Verizon is not talking it up though because they are saying it is not a consistant experience, whatever that means.

Upvote 0
This will however be changing when the Thunder Bolt is out. It has been confirmed to have simultanious voice and data capabilites. Something to do with the radio HTC is using with the new LTE network. Verizon is not talking it up though because they are saying it is not a consistant experience, whatever that means.

From my undersstanding, as with the thunderbolt, 4g LTE devices will be able to do both voice and data at the same time as long as you are in a 4G network. the data will go through the 4G LTE radio, and voice will go through the 3g cdma radio. if you don't have 4g service, its still a no go for voice and data at the same time. Probably why verizon isn't promoting it cause their 4G coverage is still rather limited.

Reactions: ska.t73
Upvote 0
From my undersstanding, as with the thunderbolt, 4g LTE devices will be able to do both voice and data at the same time as long as you are in a 4G network. the data will go through the 4G LTE radio, and voice will go through the 3g cdma radio. if you don't have 4g service, its still a no go for voice and data at the same time. Probably why verizon isn't promoting it cause their 4G coverage is still rather limited.

Thanks for the explaination on that, makes sense. :)

Upvote 0
Yeah, the big deal with the Thunderbolt was that it could do simultaneous calling and data over 3G. Not that I think this is a big deal at all, but Verizon should be marketing it as "haha, AT&T used to say that the iPhone is better than any of their phones because of simultaneous voice+data, and now we have a better phone than the iPhone that does that too".

Upvote 0
Yeah, the big deal with the Thunderbolt was that it could do simultaneous calling and data over 3G. Not that I think this is a big deal at all, but Verizon should be marketing it as "haha, AT&T used to say that the iPhone is better than any of their phones because of simultaneous voice+data, and now we have a better phone than the iPhone that does that too".

Personally I think they aren't marketing it BECAUSE of the iPhone and it's inabillity to do talk/data. The iPhone is VZWs new golden goose, they aren't going to try to market against it.

Just wait till this summer when the iPhone 5 can do talk/data and see how much VZW's stance changes :)

Upvote 0
The Thunderbolt uses a technology called SVDO. It's old tech that's coming to light as a temp fix until LTE comes into play. If you Google it, you'll see it's been around for years, Verizon just never followed through with it. Now the Thunderbolt will be equipped with different hardware that will allow simultaneous voice and data over CDMA. HOWEVER, it will not be the voice quality you're used to. Verizon has already issued statements along the line of "While we're excited about this new capability, please be aware that this technology doesn't offer the same quality that our brand normally presents while using simultaneous voice and data". I'm too tired to find the actual quote, sorry. If they're distancing themselves from it BEFORE it comes out, I'm not too excited about it haha.

Upvote 0
I do it all the time so I have no idea what they are talking about.

You do what all the time? Use voice and data simultaneously? No. You don't. Because you can't. Your phone is not the Phone God King that can do whatever it wants while the rest of our phones are puny underlings bound by by the limitations of the CDMA radios built into them. Your phone doesn't need such things for communication with the towers, it sends your data and voice simultaneously, through sheer willpower.

Or, you're on wifi and/or don't really understand the discussion that we're having.

Upvote 0
How are you going to tell me what I can't do! Just the other day a friend of mine called me on my Droid and wanted me to check out something online. While I was on the phone with him, I went online on the Droid without hanging up from his call and looked up the website he was talking about and continued my conversation while I was looking at that site!

Upvote 0
How are you going to tell me what I can't do! Just the other day a friend of mine called me on my Droid and wanted me to check out something online. While I was on the phone with him, I went online on the Droid without hanging up from his call and looked up the website he was talking about and continued my conversation while I was looking at that site!

Because facts are FACTS. On Verizon's current data network, one CANNOT use voice and data simultaneously. Now, if you're connected to a WAP via WiFi, no problem. But currently, the use of 3G and voice does NOT work simultaneously on Verizon's phones/network. Period. If you think you can, you are wrong. And that's OK. You've been wrong before, and you'll be wrong again. :D

Upvote 0

Because I'm right, and you're misinformed, that's how. The CDMA radio in ANY phone on the VZW network right now is INCAPABLE of simultaneous voice and data. Your phone simply IS NOT the one phone to rule them all. You are not super special. Your phone wasn't dipped in the magical fountain of AT&T before you got it, endowing it with super powers.

Physical limitations are physical limitations. Your persistence simply demonstrates that you don't fully understand what we're discussing here, which is fine. Like someone else said, we've all been wrong before, and we'll all be wrong again. This time, you are wrong. Next time, I might be. Though I doubt it. :D

Upvote 0
This will all be a thing of the past before the year is over and all the LTE phones are out. With LTE phones we will be able to do simultaneous voice and data or even voice over LTE (much better quality audio).

Not that I really care about this functionality. I've never, over the course of the last 15 months I've had my Droid, need/wanted to use data while talking on the phone. Though I'd have to say my phone is used for data/voice at a 80%/20% ratio :).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones