• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T screwed me over. Apple is supposedly not releasing a new iPhone tell 2012. Ready to switch.

koneil33fb

Lurker
Mar 28, 2011
I have been an iPhone fan for years now. But AT&T screwed me over and pushed my upgrade date by a year without my consent just because I paid $36 to get a new phone number. Apple is probably not releasing a new iPhone tell 2012 and I need a new phone. I was let out of my AT&T contract, and I want to go to Verizon and get a Droid X.

1. From what I heard android isn't as polished as iOS. Is this true? I heard scrolling is still choppy.

2. Would it be smart to get a droid x right now? Will there be a new one coming soon?

3. Does the Droid X have 4G? How is the screen resolution? And battery life?

4. Does Android support French? Is there a french "market" available that I can enter in America?

5. Do I have to pay for WIFI tethering?

I want to sign a 1 Year contract with Verizon. Also, can I return the phone within 30 days of buying it for a refund?

Thank you so much! I'm very excited for responses.

I have been an iPhone fan for years now. But AT&T screwed me over and pushed my upgrade date by a year without my consent just because I paid $36 to get a new phone number. Apple is probably not releasing a new iPhone tell 2012 and I need a new phone. I was let out of my AT&T contract, and I want to go to Verizon and get a Droid X.

1. From what I heard android isn't as polished as iOS. Is this true? I heard scrolling is still choppy.

I disagree here. Android is well polished, and depending on device, there is no "choppiness" present.

You will get choppiness if you get an under-powered device, not likely though if you are going with VZW.

2. Would it be smart to get a droid x right now? Will there be a new one coming soon?

I'll have to leave this to people with a Droid X, but with the Fascinate is a top-notch phone, but updates come slowly. The T-Bolt is phenomenal as well.

The Droid X does NOT have 4G. The T-Bolt is the only 4G phone with VZW as of now.

4. Does Android support French? Is there a french "market" available that I can enter in America?

I'm sure there is, but I don't know.

Technically, yes. In reality (After rooting), no.

I want to sign a 1 Year contract with Verizon. Also, can I return the phone within 30 days of buying it for a refund?

I could be wrong, but I don't think VZW does 1 year contracts anymore. And, for returns, you only have 14 days, not 30. You will just be billed a restock, and one month's of service.

Thank you so much! I'm very excited for responses.

Hope I was helpful, at least somewhat :)

Upvote 0
1. the Android OS is a true multi-tasking OS unlike iOS. The good thing is that you can easily run 15 programs at the same time. The bad thing is that, if you're not careful, you'll have 15 programs running at the same time ... if you catch my drift. It's still a phone and is limited by memory and CPU power so if you leave too many programs running in memory (especially the ones that are actively kept in memory and using CPU power) you'll drain your battery but also slow down your UI. That's the reason why the Android OS is choppy on some phones (especially ones you can fiddle with in stores because people try every app and don't properly close it).

Basically, you'll need to use it like a real computer and close what you don't use. Then, your phone will remain smooth as butter. But heck, I often got 10 programs running without much effect.

2. I can't speak of other phones except for the HTC Desire. I still recommend that phone because I'm still waiting for one that has all the same features at a similar price.

4. It depends where you buy your phone - the phones are localised. Mine came with French, German, Dutch and English (dictionaries included) but when I rooted it, I only had French and English left.

5. Wifi tethering should be a standard feature of the Android OS - works perfectly with my phone, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
From what I heard android isn't as polished as iOS. Is this true? I heard scrolling is still choppy.
Depends on who you ask. Scrolling isn't choppy on my old Droid.

Would it be smart to get a droid x right now? Will there be a new one coming soon?
As with any device selection thread -- depends on your specific needs/wants. Share them and we can give you some meaningful input.

Does the Droid X have 4G? How is the screen resolution? And battery life?
No. Specs are online for you to refer to. Don't assume that simply selecting the "right" device will resolve any battery life concerns. You're going to have to analyze your specific usage and address your battery gos no matter which you choose.

Upvote 0
I always smile when people come to device-specific forums and ask leading questions... asking if device Y is smoother than device X at XLove4LIFEforums.com. :D

Like going to a bar in Boston and asking if the Yankees are cooler than the Redsox.

OP: try an Android device. Yourself. If you find it choppy, you know. That way, you don't rely on rambling of loyalists drunk on OS love (self humbly included).

And, BTW, there is no way Apple won't release an iPhone this year.

Upvote 0
Hi Koneil,

I've been a DX user since September - and extremely happy to switch from a Palm 755p, which doesn't even come close to the X. To address your specific questions:

1. Froyo 2.2.1 is great. Yes, there is sometimes a little choppiness that I've noticed but IMO it is a small price to pay for all the benefits that the OS brings: True multi-tasking in the palm of your hand, flash support, awesome customability, easy 1-click root (and the easy OC/UV, wifi hotspot, etc that come with rooting)...

2. You can get it through Amazon for a penny. I paid $150 for my via new every two last year. There's always going to be something new coming on the horizon, so if you want the latest and greatest you'll be waiting forever. I think the question you want to have answered is will the DX be an awesome phone to have for the next year or two? Absolutely. The are so many of them out there that I'm sure they will continue to be supported for the next couple years at least, both by Verizon and by the Dev community at large. IMO the only handset that [might] be better is the Thunderbolt, and only because it is a 4G phone, but if you go to the Thunderbolt forum and read up about people's experiences it doesn't sound that good - at least that is what I've gathered from perusing it. Again this is just my opinion, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Droid X.

3. No 4G - but I haven't had a problem with download speeds on 3G, even using it as a wifi hotspot. Screen resolution, and especially screen size is awesome - very easy to read, watch movies, surf the web and so forth. Battery life is even better - I'm seeing about 2 days between recharges with normal use. One thing I've found that eats the battery is the wifi hotspot, so I usually plug in when I use it. Just an FYI - the Thunderbolt apparently is having some major issues with battery life, draining in a few hours for many of the users from what I've read on the forum.

4. I don't know specifically about French, but I'm pretty sure you can find that out with a simple Google search or even a call to Verizon CS. Personally I'd be surprised if there wasn't support for French...

5. If you're rooted, no. I'm rooted, overclocked/undervolted and use the wifi hotspot functionality almost on a daily basis. If you are not rooted then there is an extra charge from Verizon, but I don't see that (Verizon gets enough of my $$ as it stands). I use z4root which is about as easy as you can get, and there are some excellent guides (both written and human) to help out newcomers here.

Apparently Verizon does still do 1-year contracts, but your upfront costs may be more - the penny deal from Amazon is strictly a 2-year obligation as far asI know. And there is only a 14-day return policy now.

I hope this answers your questions:rolleyes:

Bets of luck to you!

Upvote 0
As much as I love the Droid X and its hardware, I recommend the T-Bolt over it. The HTC Sense platform is just more polished. It is right up there with iOS in terms of smoothness and stability. The features are all there too with great widgets.

MotoBlur is just too choppy and the graphics are too second rate. Droid X hardware is probably one of the best out there. Better than T-Bolt though in terms of body and materials. Fit and finish is great.

T-Bolt is plastic but has good heft and solid build quality too.

Upvote 0

As a DX user who came from an iPhone, I will answer question 1 with a yes. It's not as polished and scrolling is choppy. I won't go into all the other issues I have with the phone and Android in general, but I'm going back to iOS as soon as I can.

I'm good with gadgets but just don't have the time to spend tweaking my phone to get it to work well. Some people like to do that - I don't. Android phones are not terrible by any means - I just prefer something that requires less maintenance.

Upvote 0
As much as I love the Droid X and its hardware, I recommend the T-Bolt over it. The HTC Sense platform is just more polished. It is right up there with iOS in terms of smoothness and stability. The features are all there too with great widgets.

MotoBlur is just too choppy and the graphics are too second rate. Droid X hardware is probably one of the best out there. Better than T-Bolt though in terms of body and materials. Fit and finish is great.

T-Bolt is plastic but has good heft and solid build quality too.

I wish I had gone with HTC as well although I wasn't terrible impressed with the Incredible I tried.

Upvote 0
HTC Sense is how Android should be experienced. Moto Blur is too unpolished. I think the Incredible can't really be compared to the TB.

The experience is much different. TB has better hardware optimized for Android with HTC SENSE. I haven't experienced lag at all actually which really surprised me because Moto Blur on the Droid X was always choppy.

Upvote 0
ive been a DX owner since day 1, and my best friend has had both an iPhone 3G and an iPhone 4 so i've spent plenty of time with it...

Stock Android is NOT as polished as iOS there is total truth to that...and on a lot of phones (the DX included) there is a choppiness to the scrolling that you won't find on the iPhone...HTC Sense phones seem to be the best, im not sure why Moto can not get this completely ironed out with Blur...

HOWEVER...in the Android world we have a few (three that i highly recommend) options that COMPLETELY fix this issue...Go Launcher, ADW, and LauncherPro are replacement apps for your stock Launcher (the home screen UI)...all three are free, and all three off a smoothness completely on par with iOS as well as customization options that are incredible (including customizable screen transition effects which really add a nice wow factor)

Now, I do agree with the one guy who is going back to iOS that its fairly unacceptable, and how he doesn't want a phone that he has to fiddle with to get it to work right...this is true, but if you want to try Android, i PROMISE that one of the alternative launchers will cure any choppiness that comes from scrolling..

this is tough...i LOVE my X to death...and none of the current crop of phones (Atrix, Thunderbolt, even the Bionic) are powerful enough to make me want to upgrade early...BUT if i was making the decision RIGHT NOW like you are...the Atrix (ATT), the Thunderbolt(VZW) or the upcoming Bionic (VZW would be the way i would go...

there are rumors of an X2 being announced soonish...but they are just that....rumors...

No 4G for the X....and its not something that can be updated....The resolution of the screen is good...its not as good as the iPhone 4, but the extra screen size is awesome! after having the X since July, iPhones feel absolutely small in my hands now...too small in fact...

i do not know the answer to this question...

you have two choices here...

1. If you want to root your phone (like jailbreaking an iPhone) then no...WiFi tether is free...a lot of phones have apps that make rooting as simple as pressing a single button and letting the app root your phone...

2. If you don't want to root, then yes, you have to pay for tethering...

i don't know anything about 1-year contracts im sorry...

Upvote 0
As a DX user who came from an iPhone, I will answer question 1 with a yes. It's not as polished and scrolling is choppy. I won't go into all the other issues I have with the phone and Android in general, but I'm going back to iOS as soon as I can.

I'm good with gadgets but just don't have the time to spend tweaking my phone to get it to work well. Some people like to do that - I don't. Android phones are not terrible by any means - I just prefer something that requires less maintenance.

+1

I've always noticed mine was a bit choppy. Especially after using a friends dinc. Now that I'm running gingerbread...smooth as butter. much improved :)

Upvote 0
Well good luck. I hope you have a good experience. But let me just caution you up front, the DX can be jittery out of the box. Go to the 'Everything Root' section above to find out about ROMs an the like. There are ways to polish your DX if you find it slow or laggy (not everyone does, but some do).

I had to go with GummyJAR and GoLauncher before my DX really started to behave. Then I tried Liberty and found out there were some cool things that came with the toolbox, but all in all, I still prefer GummyJAR as it is the smoothest, most blurless ROM out there as far as I can tell. Yes I hate Motoblur, it is choppy. If I would have been in your shoes I probably would have gone with the T-Bolt as a friend of mine has one and it is faaaAAAASSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But that doesn't mean you're not going to like the DX. It's still a wonderful device. And like I said if it doesn't feel polished out of the box, there are things you can do to make it feel zippier. Namely, get rid of Motoblur. It's useless IMO.

Welcome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones