• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help At&t stuck on 4.1.2

NightAngel79

Mandalorian
Administrator
May 11, 2010
Northern Ky
Hey everyone!

So my co-worker here has the AT&T HTC One. He is in the IT department with me (so he has no excuse :D) and knows zero about updating his phone.

As I was installing KitKat on my OneMax I asked him about his OS version. We discovered he was on 4.1.2 and is unable to pull any updates from phone. He did some preliminary searching and discovered this was a known issue. Looks like info he found said using the RUU is the only way to get current??

Did some quick searching and didn't see anything. Trying to get him to sign up here :), but will at least point him to this thread.

Links to thread about this? Or some simple RUU installation instructions for him would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

There's a common misconception that can you just change the hboot but that isn't the case, you need the full firmware that comes with the RUU.

Thanks for great explanations. One question about what you said about changing just the HBOOT. I'm S-OFF and flashed the HBOOT from the GPE One onto my AT&T One that is still running the stock ROM & original firmware (4.3 & 3.17.502.3). What issues could arise by changing HBOOT w/o the corresponding firmware? Haven't noticed anything yet, other than the inability to flash the 4.4.2 RUU (but I think that may be an issue with the RUU itself & not so much having a different HBOOT). Is there anything in particular I should be looking for?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones