[AT&T] Which root?

1. backdoc77

backdoc77 Well-Known Member

Sorry guys if this has already been asked. I searched but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. My buddy wants to root his S4 so he can use it on another carrier. Is this doable? If so, which root program will work?
    Again, apologies, I'm a root noob.

Advertisement
  2. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

There are currently 28 models of Samsung Galaxy S4. Depending on which model your buddy has, will determine the rooting method. See #1.2 of 28 Galaxy S4 models - know yours? on how to determine the model.
  3. backdoc77

Model: SGH-I337

Android version: 4.2.2

ATT
    AP: I337UCUAMF3
    CP: I337UCUAMF3
    CSC: I337ATTAMF3
  4. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Moved into the att root forum for better support.

Cheers
    ironass likes this.
  5. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

Rooting won't help with moving to another carrier. He needs to carrier unlock it.
    I've used this site, but they are by no means the only ones.
  6. backdoc77

Thank you
    He purchased an unlock code but it doesn't work. I think it's because he rooted his phone with motochopper. We can't figure out how to unroot the phone since no firmware exists for his model (amf3)
    Does any of this make sense? Can you unlock a phone if it's rooted?
  7. Mr. Lucky

Mr. Lucky Well-Known Member Contributor

I think there is more to this story than your buddy is letting on. Motochopper has not worked since JB 4.2, and MF3 = 4.2.2. If he obtained an unlock code and it doesn't work, he should seek recourse from the place he purchased it from. There should be no problem unlocking a rooted or non-rooted phone. It does require a different carrier's SIM (even if just temporarily) to apply the unlock code.
  8. backdoc77

just about to give up. This rooting/unlock stuff is way over my head. Turns out the motochopper root didn't work. According to "root checker" his phone is not rooted after all.
    Anyway, I will tell him to get another code and try again.
  9. bigube

bigube Member

Go to towelroot by geohot download the apk. and run it from your phone, easiest root for ATT 4.4.2 on NC! firmware.
  10. backdoc77