• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T's HTC Android Phone

maerlim

Android Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2010
Missouri
I was at my local Best Buy yesterday. The mobile sales people there claimed they saw an HTC Android phone for AT&T when their "rep" (I didn't gather if it was an AT&T sales rep or HTC or other) was at the store last week. They said it looked like "an upgraded Tilt with Android", and didn't seem very impressed with it. No word on specs, just the aesthetic. They had a name for it, which I'd never heard before (so it wasn't the Wildfire), and unfortunately didn't write down and can't remember. (I want to say it was something like "Aura" or "Aurora".) They didn't say (and I didn't ask) if it had sense or anything (my Wife was with me, trying to hurry me along... she doesn't understand these things).

I was at my local Best Buy yesterday. The mobile sales people there claimed they saw an HTC Android phone for AT&T when their "rep" (I didn't gather if it was an AT&T sales rep or HTC or other) was at the store last week. They said it looked like "an upgraded Tilt with Android", and didn't seem very impressed with it. No word on specs, just the aesthetic. They had a name for it, which I'd never heard before (so it wasn't the Wildfire), and unfortunately didn't write down and can't remember. (I want to say it was something like "Aura" or "Aurora".) They didn't say (and I didn't ask) if it had sense or anything (my Wife was with me, trying to hurry me along... she doesn't understand these things).

I'd be so afraid of getting fired if I were that associate XD.

Odds are it was an att rep... Att visits best buy to update people on phones they will be carrying, to my knowledge htc reps don't visit stores...

Upvote 0
Guess it's the Legend... Kinda mixed feelings about that. Mostly disappointment.

No mixed feelings at all here it is all disappointment. With all the HTC phones being introduced with a 1Ghz processor it is just sad to try and bring this to market.
Where the processor it not the only thing to consider with as fast as HTC is cranking out phones this one that was ready to go into the marketplace in Feb is already a generation behind.

Upvote 0
No mixed feelings at all here it is all disappointment. With all the HTC phones being introduced with a 1Ghz processor it is just sad to try and bring this to market.
Where the processor it not the only thing to consider with as fast as HTC is cranking out phones this one that was ready to go into the marketplace in Feb is already a generation behind.

The reason I say mixed is that the Legend is actually a pretty decent phone. The processor is a pretty big bump up from the older MSM72xx processors as well. From my understanding it has an FPU(like the Snapdragon), L2 cache and the GPU from the Snapdragon. The downside however is that it's still an ARM11 chip and only clocks in at 600Mhz. Really though it should be a good processor and the Legend should make for a pretty good phone(if I have to settle).

Upvote 0
The reason I say mixed is that the Legend is actually a pretty decent phone. The processor is a pretty big bump up from the older MSM72xx processors as well. From my understanding it has an FPU(like the Snapdragon), L2 cache and the GPU from the Snapdragon. The downside however is that it's still an ARM11 chip and only clocks in at 600Mhz. Really though it should be a good processor and the Legend should make for a pretty good phone(if I have to settle).

In a line-up that includes the Backflip and Aero, the Legend would look like a rock star. :) But put it next to a Galaxy-S and all of a sudden it looks like Courtney Love. :)

Upvote 0
In a line-up that includes the Backflip and Aero, the Legend would look like a rock star. :) But put it next to a Galaxy-S and all of a sudden it looks like Courtney Love. :)

LOL... quite the comparison. At least the Legend is still attractive aesthetically speaking! If the Legend is out soon and there's no Galaxy S or higher end HTC phone in sight then I won't hesitate to grab the Legend.

Upvote 0
The Galaxy S has its own problems to me and that is the support the device will be given. I have had bad luck with other Samsung division on support of tech products and am not willing to give them another chance especially on my phone.
Not sure if it is true but there is a poster over a BGR claiming to be a AT&T retail store manager and they say the Desire is still comming and that the legend is the lower end model they are getting from HTC.
I have never understood AT&Ts marketing but I was under the impression if you are not apple you want to release your higher end stuff first to try and get people to pay abit more for it.

Upvote 0
I've had several Samsung phones now(I currently have the Eternity) and can say they've all treated me fairly well.

I certainly hope the person on BGR is right(though I have doubts). Whichever phone was to be from HTC was supposed to be exclusive to AT&T or so I thought. If that's the case then the Desire is not going to be the first HTC phone on AT&T.

When it comes to phones price wise on AT&T it seems they just make them all $200-$300 after subsidy regardless of specs.

Upvote 0
I"m really struggling with what to do. I have an AT&T Tilt, which has served me well for a long time. But it's time to move up.

I was strongly considering moving to Sprint for the EVO (I am an HTC fan). But, Sprint's coverage is too spotty in too many places. I was on Sprint 4 years ago, and moved due to too many drops. Talked to a few folks, and they experience drops now in same places I did.

WM7 is an extreme disappointment to me. Takes me to Android. I'm not even seeing rumors of anything near as nice as the EVO, or HD2, for AT&T. Maybe the HD3? But...what I'm seeing is it will be WM7. Sigh....

What to do, what to do....

Upvote 0
LOL... quite the comparison. At least the Legend is still attractive aesthetically speaking! If the Legend is out soon and there's no Galaxy S or higher end HTC phone in sight then I won't hesitate to grab the Legend.

I think I'd prolly be in the same boat w/you. I think you're right about the newer MSM72XXX chips. I'd like to see a detailed processor comparison somewhere.

Upvote 0
I"m really struggling with what to do. I have an AT&T Tilt, which has served me well for a long time. But it's time to move up.

I was strongly considering moving to Sprint for the EVO (I am an HTC fan). But, Sprint's coverage is too spotty in too many places. I was on Sprint 4 years ago, and moved due to too many drops. Talked to a few folks, and they experience drops now in same places I did.

WM7 is an extreme disappointment to me. Takes me to Android. I'm not even seeing rumors of anything near as nice as the EVO, or HD2, for AT&T. Maybe the HD3? But...what I'm seeing is it will be WM7. Sigh....

What to do, what to do....

There's still a small amount of hope that the Desire is heading to AT&T(though I personally doubt it). The Desire is comparable to the Incredible or Evo 4G(actually it has 64MB more RAM though I don't think that'll make much difference). The only high end Android phone that looks to be heading to AT&T at this point is the Samsung Galaxy S. If you can hold out for another month to month and a half or so we'll have a clearer picture of things I think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones