• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

At what point will/do you upgrade?

Medion

Android Expert
Aug 14, 2010
Auburn, WA
I'm just curious to see what everyone uses for their personal upgrade criteria. For example, do you upgrade on a set time interval? Do you wait for a specific requirement (hardware/software)? Do you just upgrade when you see a phone that you like?

Read below for my criteria, or post your own
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I upgrade when a device meets a pre-set of criteria that I have outlaid, often hardware based though I'm moving more towards software limitations. For example, my past three phones were: HTC Droid Incredible (Verizon), Galaxy S2 (international), and Galaxy S4 (Google Play Edition).

When I got the Droid Incredible I had no specific requirements for an upgrade and only bailed because I wanted an unlocked GSM model and didn't want to deal with Verizon anymore. At the time of my purchase (October 2011), the top two options for me were the unlocked Galaxy S2 ($550), or wait a month for the Galaxy Nexus ($600-ish, they didn't have Play Store pricing at the time). Given that the GSM Nexus was limited to 16GB with no MicroSD, my mind was made up.

The moment that I got my S2, I already knew what I wanted in my next phone;

• quad-core Cortex A15 or equivalent (it had been announced and I was aware of a 2013/2014 time table)
  • 1080P display (I use HDTV output a lot, and Android doesn't allow you to select output resolution, so it had to be native)
  • LTE compatibility
  • Removable battery because of the way I abuse my phones
  • 32GB internal storage OR 16GB + support for MicroSD
  • 2GB of RAM (I already had 1GB, and while it was more than enough, wanted room to grow)

The minute the Galaxy S4 was announced, I liked it but had revised my criteria to prefer a more stock experience. Touchwiz really bothered me. So when the S4 Google Play Edition was announced, I ordered it on day one and received it in early July 2013.

And here's the criteria that I set for my next upgrade since that purchase (haven't changed my mind since then).

• Cortex A57 or equivalent, at least dual-core (Moto X has shown me the downsides of quad-core thermal throttling), will consider quad-core
  • Minimum 720p display (for battery savings), maximum 1080p (would rather avoid a 2k display if I can)
  • LTE compatibility with VoLTE support
  • Removable battery because of the way I abuse my phones (will waive this if the phone is under $400)
  • 64GB internal storage OR 32GB + support for MicroSD
  • 2GB+ of RAM (I still use less than 1GB of RAM, 2GB isn't a deal breaker for me)
  • I want to stick with the Nexus or Google Play Edition program. I like how it's worked out.

I suspect it will be spring/summer 2015 before phones come out approaching my requirements, and I suspect that I'll have to be flexible on the battery issue.

Their is absolutely no method to my madness.

Same here (sort of, mostly). I am usually perfectly happy with my phone until I hear about a new that I 'need'. I couldn't wait to get my hands on my Moto X even though my RAZR HD was perfectly fine. And now Project Ara looms large in my future even though I love my X...

Upvote 0
My criteria are simpler and yet less firmly defined. I upgrade when the following 2 conditions are both met:

1) the device is limiting me in some way (e.g. cannot run a significant number of apps which would interest me, or lacks or lags badly on some feature which would matter to me).

2) there is a device which remedies this and which appeals to me sufficiently for me to believe I'll use it for a few years (I detest the wastefulness of consumer culture, so won't buy a device I don't expect to have some longevity).

Or, of course, because something unforeseen happens to the device!

So in practice I don't know when my next upgrade will be, except that I see no need at the moment.

Upvote 0
More of a wish list really, I just upgrade when I see a device with features I want and which offers a reasonable performance improvement, it's not that complicated and I will make compromises.

32GB Internal Storage + MicroSD or 64GB Internal Storage
2GB+ DDR3 Memory
Snapdragon 801, better or equivalent
Overall dimensions similar to a Galaxy S4 with 5" Display or better
1080p Display (Seriously, 1080p is enough for now)
Outstanding camera, equivalent to Nokia's Lumia 1020 quality or better
2800mAh+ Battery (5+ hours Screen Time)
Build Quality, (Durable with no quality control issues, material doesn't matter much)

Upvote 0
I'll admit it. When it comes to mobile communications and computing I'm addicted. Smartphones and Laptops are my focus. Because I use both in my work which I love, I'm constantly looking for ways to streamline and speed up my workflow.

In addition I have a burning desire to experience various devices, platforms, technologies and software first hand. Therefore top of the line devices are what I buy, test, use and replace as frequently as I feel like it. I learn a lot and greatly enjoy it.

After in depth research I choose what fills most of my criterion. Basically it must be fast, have a generous amount of ram, include a display of at least 5.0", feature an up to date processor, offer good build quality, ergonomics and style.

Because I maintain multiple active lines with T-Mobile and AT&T, I'm usually using multiple phones concurrently. One is my primary personal phone, one for business and the others in some stage of testing, evaluating, modifying, etc. All easily fit in my laptop bag.

Business travel takes me all over the globe, hence a terrific smartphone has become of greater importance than ever.

Upvote 0
Yup, for me it's more of do I need to change it? LOL. I'm getting contract renewal at the end of this week allowing me to get a free device, and instead of getting a new phone I'll probably just get a Note 8, which they're offering to me for free if I renew. :D

Same for me actually, really because I've had to change them, because the old ones have either broken or worn out. However this summer I'm looking to get a better specced phone, a Nexus 5 most likely, even though my current Galaxy Win is still working just fine.

I'm not tied to any contracts or eligible for subsidised upgrades, and I've never usually been obsessed with having the latest processors, bleeding edge or whatever, it's more as long as it still works and is useful to me. Except this time. :)

Upvote 0
Same for me actually, really because I've had to change them, because the old ones have either broken or worn out. However this summer I'm looking to get a better specced phone, a Nexus 5 most likely, even though my current Galaxy Win is still working just fine.

Well, another reason is that my brother is getting his renewal later this year. My S3 mini still does good enough for me since I don't game on my phone (just forum, internet,youtube and music, with some tethering) so I figure I'll just get his S3 and it'll be an upgrade for free while getting a new tablet too. Lol.

Upvote 0
Still using a 3.5 year old Moto Photon. Before that I had a flip phone. At that time I couldn't find a smart phone I liked till the Photon came out. I suppose I am picky and don't like to compromise.

I keep eying new phones but haven't liked one enough to warrant the upgrade.

Iphone screen too small, Flagships too big, Moto X the perfect size but no removable battery and no SD card ......

Basically there is nothing I want right now.

If anyone ever makes a Moto X sized phone with decent specs and a removable battery and either an SD card or 64GB of internal, I would buy in a heartbeat.

Otherwise I will stick to my photon.
The only things my photon lack are LTE and and upgraded OS.
I can live with that for now while I wait for the manufacturers to pull their collective heads out of their asses.

Upvote 0
Well, when a phone/tablet comes out that seriously outstrips the PRACTICAL performance of my Nexus 10 and HTC One (m7) comes out, and I have the money, I"ll upgrade. In day-to-day use, most devices don't outdo those. Yes, Antutu gives the S5/m8/whatever 10,000 more points (just being arbitrary there), but do those points necessarily indicate some inherent superiority? Not in my opinion.

Upvote 0
For me, I upgrade when my phone can no longer support my needs, running really slow, running out of internal memory or damaged. I've had the S4 since June 2013 and very happy with it and no need to upgrade anytime soon.

When its time to upgrade, this is what I'll look for:

1) Quad-core processor
2) 5" HD 1080p screen
3) Removable battery (2800mah +)
4) SD card support
5) 2GB + RAM
6) 13mp + rear and 2mp + front camera
7) Plastic build, light weight and thin (I case my phones)
8) Carrier and manufacture quick updates for 2 yrs

Upvote 0
Well, I had an unexpected phone upgrade. LOL. Went to my carrier's store to pay my bills. Apparently I can get my new device already. No more Note 8.0's, which was the one I really wanted because my little sister never returned took my Tab for herself over the last few months since I was at home and wasn't using it much (it serves as a handout and ebook reader for me), but they gave me a Note 2+Tab 3 7.0 for $100, with the payment split over 24months and added to the cost of my contract. Good bargain and went for it. LOL. Although it seems my sister took the new Tab for herself again. She has been in her room with both Tabs and appears to be transferring the contents from my old one to the new one.... o_O

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones