• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

aTAKEphONE released

I am an old takephone user from a palm 700p many moons ago and it is wonderful to use the app again. everything seems great but I do have one question or suggestion? I use verizon's visual voicemail which basically turns the voicemail into an iphone like experience with a list of your voicemails (with contact photos if they exist) and no dialing in to voicemail and entering your password. I really would like to be able to have takephone access to the visual voicemail instead of going to the normal voicemail by phone access.

I don't know how prevalent visual voicemail is but as an iphone convert to a droid x I don't think I am alone in my migration. I hate to say it, but apple did some things right and verizon seems to be making good use of that (for $3/month for visual voicemail).

Thanks very much and especially thank you for a wonderful app and a very pleasant trip down memory lane.

Upvote 0
Does your update fix the problems with the non standard launchers? I originally tried your app and had Launcher Pro Plus installed. Lots of lockups. I uninstalled LPP and had no problems. I installed ADW a couple of days ago and this morning, started having problems with your app locking up again. I haven't uninstalled it but I switched to Dialer One.

I really like the look, feel and function of your app but the freeze/lockup make it unusable. While there is no way to be sure, it certainly seems the source of the problems are associated with LPP and ADW. I might have thought the Exchange Server App Touchdown was a factor but while using the standard Moto launcher with your app AND Touchdown, no problems for about a week. That would seem to eliminate Touchdown as the source of the problem.

Upvote 0
Does your update fix the problems with the non standard launchers? I originally tried your app and had Launcher Pro Plus installed. Lots of lockups. I uninstalled LPP and had no problems. I installed ADW a couple of days ago and this morning, started having problems with your app locking up again. I haven't uninstalled it but I switched to Dialer One.

I really like the look, feel and function of your app but the freeze/lockup make it unusable. While there is no way to be sure, it certainly seems the source of the problems are associated with LPP and ADW. I might have thought the Exchange Server App Touchdown was a factor but while using the standard Moto launcher with your app AND Touchdown, no problems for about a week. That would seem to eliminate Touchdown as the source of the problem.

I use LP Plus and have never had takephone lock up.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Could it be the mix of all - LP,aTP and Touchdown ?

I do not know. Obviously, it is possible. For that matter, it could be a conflict with any number of apps or combination thereof.

Thing is, Touchdown is the best app I've found for my Exchange Server needs and this is essential, so it stays. I'm really liking the ADW Launcher, so it stays. I thought you might have some idea that would salvage this for me. As I said, I really, really like your app. If it doesn't cause stability and lockup problems, I'd highly recommend it for anyone's set up.

I'll keep an eye out here and may try your app again after a couple of new releases or if I see you have discovered what the problem may be.

Upvote 0
I do not know. Obviously, it is possible. For that matter, it could be a conflict with any number of apps or combination thereof.

Thing is, Touchdown is the best app I've found for my Exchange Server needs and this is essential, so it stays. I'm really liking the ADW Launcher, so it stays. I thought you might have some idea that would salvage this for me. As I said, I really, really like your app. If it doesn't cause stability and lockup problems, I'd highly recommend it for anyone's set up.

I'll keep an eye out here and may try your app again after a couple of new releases or if I see you have discovered what the problem may be.

OK, Thanks.

I have installed Launcher Pro on my Nexus one (nice launcher, BTW), and am running them both together, to see if I can recreate this, and debug it.

Upvote 0
Funny, I use ADW and I have no problems at all with aTAKEphONE locking up.

Why is that funny? Do you think I'm lying? Do you have the exact same configuration on your phone that I do? Take the time to read all the posts, or even just the last one. I have no idea what is causing the problem, it could be ADW, ADW and Touchdown combined or something else altogether. If you think you can post something helpful, please do. I won't be holding my breath however waiting for something intelligent from you.

Upvote 0
I'm clarifying the visual voicemail question. in the standard/stock dialer on the droid x (which I presume is a standard motorola based dialer that, fortunately for you lacks T9 search), when I press the voicemail button it takes me directly to the visual voicemail app (although it isn't an app listed in the app drawer). When I press the voicemail button in takephone it dials the usual voicemail number prompting for password etc.

Visual voicemail is a feature that at least verizon offers that shows the voicemails in a list with contact pictures (just like any iphone) and does not require calling into the network and pressing buttons and passwords to retrieve voicemail).

Upvote 0
I'm clarifying the visual voicemail question. in the standard/stock dialer on the droid x (which I presume is a standard motorola based dialer that, fortunately for you lacks T9 search), when I press the voicemail button it takes me directly to the visual voicemail app (although it isn't an app listed in the app drawer). When I press the voicemail button in takephone it dials the usual voicemail number prompting for password etc.

Visual voicemail is a feature that at least verizon offers that shows the voicemails in a list with contact pictures (just like any iphone) and does not require calling into the network and pressing buttons and passwords to retrieve voicemail).

Now I see.

Added to my todo list.

Will probably need your help identifying that app (since I dont have a Droid X). Going on a vacation now, but will be back on Sunday. Will contact you then.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app to a Droid Eris phone and it is stuck in the authorizing mode and will go no farther. I have a receipt that says I paid in full, but it won't go forward and finish the download. It says it is having a server error! But stuck in this continuous cycle of seeking permission, drains the battery in about 5 hours.
Contacted the developer 24 hours ago, and have heard nothing yet.

Upvote 0
I downloaded the app to a Droid Eris phone and it is stuck in the authorizing mode and will go no farther. I have a receipt that says I paid in full, but it won't go forward and finish the download. It says it is having a server error! But stuck in this continuous cycle of seeking permission, drains the battery in about 5 hours.
Contacted the developer 24 hours ago, and have heard nothing yet.

Hi. I emailed u. I think it may be an issue with google servers. U can get the app from my website. I will contact u when I get back on Sunday.

Sorry for the trouble.

Shimon

Upvote 0
Hi,

Could it be the mix of all - LP,aTP and Touchdown ?

Just as an aside, I use Touchdown, LauncherPro and aTakephone and don't have any problems with lock ups. However, I don't make a whole lot of phone calls (2-5 a day - I use my phone for about everything else except phone calls, lol) so I am not in aTakephone very often during the day. Also, I have a MotoDroid (with stock 2.1) and not a DroidX, not sure if that makes a difference. My dad also uses aTakephone and Touchdown on his MotoDroid (but not LauncherPro) and doesn't notice lockups, but does notice that if he is just dialing a number into aTakephone (and not searching for a existing contact), his aTakephone is slow, he said it's about a two or three second delay from dialing a number and it showing on his screen and making the corresponding "beep". I haven't experienced this, but he also makes ALOT more phone calls then I do on a daily basis. I have seen bug reports saying that the more you use aTakephone it seems to get laggy. Maybe this lock-up issue has more to do with frequency of use of the program? Just a thought. If I need to try to do any beta testing on my phone, let me know.

Thanks for the great product! It has made searching for contacts SO MUCH easier!

Christi

Upvote 0
Just as an aside, I use Touchdown, LauncherPro and aTakephone and don't have any problems with lock ups. However, I don't make a whole lot of phone calls (2-5 a day - I use my phone for about everything else except phone calls, lol) so I am not in aTakephone very often during the day. Also, I have a MotoDroid (with stock 2.1) and not a DroidX, not sure if that makes a difference. My dad also uses aTakephone and Touchdown on his MotoDroid (but not LauncherPro) and doesn't notice lockups, but does notice that if he is just dialing a number into aTakephone (and not searching for a existing contact), his aTakephone is slow, he said it's about a two or three second delay from dialing a number and it showing on his screen and making the corresponding "beep". I haven't experienced this, but he also makes ALOT more phone calls then I do on a daily basis. I have seen bug reports saying that the more you use aTakephone it seems to get laggy. Maybe this lock-up issue has more to do with frequency of use of the program? Just a thought. If I need to try to do any beta testing on my phone, let me know.

Thanks for the great product! It has made searching for contacts SO MUCH easier!

Christi

I sometimes make 50+ phone calls per day. The big problems were lagging and when I'm on a call, another call comes in and I try to switch. Or, even after the first call hangs up, it can freeze when I try to switch to the second call.

I wish it could get fixed, I like this dialer far better than the standard one or DialerOne.

Upvote 0
Well I found out why I can't find this in the app store:

Unfortunately, priced applications are currently only available to users in the following countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, New Zealand, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States.

Since I am in Turkey at the time - only free apps are available to me.

Hope this information helps anyone else that might be in the same situation as myself.

thanks

s/j

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Regarding the lockups - I am trying my app with Launcher Pro (on a Nexus One). Still no lockups.

I will test (again) the app for memory leaks as per the suggestion that the lockups occur after a long time frequent use.

Thanks !

I have been using Takephone on the new 2.2 ROM for the EVO and have not had any lockups. It's also MUCH faster when doing lookups. Virtually no lag at all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones