• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix 4g usable in India

India, eh? Whereabouts? I'm going there this summer to teach in mumbai and new delhi.
Do you live there, or just visiting?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the atrix is locked (which means carrier locked, or locked to a certain carrier, like at&t in this case). But don't despair, because "unlocking" your phone is not a difficult task. The easiest way is to call at&t and ask for an unlock code, because you're going to be in india and need your cell phone to work with another carrier. But if at&t won't give it to you (they can be jerks sometimes!) then just sit tight; the XDA crew will almost certainly create an unlocking guide, in time (assuming they haven't already).

There are also ways to pay websites money for an unlock code? But I have never done that and can't verify how well it works, if at all.

Upvote 0
Hi
I am bought Atrix 4G. Just want to know if phone can be used in India?
I do see GSM bands are available in India. But is this phone locked to carrrier?

Thanks
if you buy a US version then it is locked to ATT.
But you can easily get an unlock code for $10 now and if you wait for few week can get it under $5.
Yes it will work in India in 3g as well (apart from edge) as the frequency is 2100 Mhz for 3g band in india and this phone does support this UMTS frequency.

Reactions: androme
Upvote 0
Off- TOPIC:
I also will be there in Summer (delhi) we can meet somewhere over there :)
Though visiting India in Summer is not a very great Idea as the temp will be around ~110

about the locking stuff, here's a thread at xda:

[Q] unlock codes - xda-developers

Oh man, 110! I am going to be sweating beads. Do you speak Hindi? Can I get around okay in the cities only with English?

Upvote 0
about the locking stuff, here's a thread at xda:

[Q] unlock codes - xda-developers

Oh man, 110! I am going to be sweating beads. Do you speak Hindi? Can I get around okay in the cities only with English?

If you are in Delhi/Mumbai or any other big cities you will be able to get around okay with English except with Taxi/Auto drivers..

Upvote 0
A noob question...
There are two versions, 1 sells on walmart for 499 (US version) and other on Amazon for 599. If I buy the US version and get the unlock code, would I be able to use the phone on non-US frequency bands?

Yes,
As the phone supports all four bands 2g GSM frequency and three bands (850,1900,2100) UMTS/3G/HSPA frequencies

Reactions: androme
Upvote 0
A noob question...
There are two versions, 1 sells on walmart for 499 (US version) and other on Amazon for 599. If I buy the US version and get the unlock code, would I be able to use the phone on non-US frequency bands?

Hello ,
were you successful in getting the unlock code? How are you planing to go about it ? Please let me know.

Btw, i checked on walmart.com and it seems the price has gone up to 799 !!

Upvote 0
if you buy a US version then it is locked to ATT.
But you can easily get an unlock code for $10 now and if you wait for few week can get it under $5.
Yes it will work in India in 3g as well (apart from edge) as the frequency is 2100 Mhz for 3g band in india and this phone does support this UMTS frequency.

Hi, can you please help with some more info on where it can get unlocked . Is it a specific website or a place in India.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
can i unlock an atrix 4g bought in usa in india?
what are the requirements to buy it in usa?
plz tell! my father is going there for a short tour and i was wondering if it could be bought?
thanx a lot!!!

Hey people, SAw this post now...but I just ordered an Atrix 4G through a newspaper's online shopping store...

Was wondering what should I expect...As in, problem wise...they say its an unlocked phone and can be easily used...so...will this be a hacked device or a brand new one...

Upvote 0
Hey people, SAw this post now...but I just ordered an Atrix 4G through a newspaper's online shopping store...

Was wondering what should I expect...As in, problem wise...they say its an unlocked phone and can be easily used...so...will this be a hacked device or a brand new one...

Hi,

I too ordered the phone from indiatimes and have been delivered an att locked Moto Atrix 4g. I live in Chennai and am not able to use the phone with my BSNL SIM. As far as I read in the internet forums, Moto Atrix 4G cannot be unlocked.

Please let me know if you were able to use the phone; did you unlock by yourself... Would highly appreciate your reply..

Thanks
Giridhar.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I too ordered the phone from indiatimes and have been delivered an att locked Moto Atrix 4g. I live in Chennai and am not able to use the phone with my BSNL SIM. As far as I read in the internet forums, Moto Atrix 4G cannot be unlocked.

Please let me know if you were able to use the phone; did you unlock by yourself... Would highly appreciate your reply..

Thanks
Giridhar.

I bought the Atrix in US which was locked to AT&T. I got it unlocked in about $10 via cellunlock.net - they will send you the unlock code. I am using it since last one year in India.

Upvote 0
I bought the Atrix in US which was locked to AT&T. I got it unlocked in about $10 via cellunlock.net - they will send you the unlock code. I am using it since last one year in India.

at&t unlocked my phone and i have inserted a vodofone sim in it but it doesn't seem to work. i can't see any of the vodofone networks. any chance you did something special for this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones