• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix Screen washed out? Compared to Nexus S.

MJBarnes

Jun 12, 2010
I have been waiting for the Atrix to get here. Upon initial setup, I did some screen comparisons between this and my Nexus S.

I am noticing the Atrix screen seems to be much less vivid in color than the Nexus. Anyone else noticing this? Or am I being too picky?

This is going to be a BIG topic...And to be brutally honest, an LCD screen, whether Super LCD, Reg LCD or this QHD (whatever moto is calling it) just cant hold a candle to Super Amoled...It just cant, period end of story! Same goes for the Thunderbolt...LCD is just not as nice! And Hello it's 2011, LCD is a Major Battery Drain, and old Technology.

Upvote 0
This is going to be a BIG topic...And to be brutally honest, an LCD screen, whether Super LCD, Reg LCD or this QHD (whatever moto is calling it) just cant hold a candle to Super Amoled...It just cant, period end of story! Same goes for the Thunderbolt...LCD is just not as nice! And Hello it's 2011, LCD is a Major Battery Drain, and old Technology.

This is all subjective, the "nice" part at least. AMOLED screens certainly are more vibrant, but that isn't necessarily an accurate representation of color.

Now the battery part you're quite right about.

Upvote 0
This is all subjective, the "nice" part at least. AMOLED screens certainly are more vibrant, but that isn't necessarily an accurate representation of color.

Now the battery part you're quite right about.

Text is cleaner and Better on an LCD! But it all comes down to personal opinion, some people like the clearer text of LCD, some like the Vibrant colors of Super Amo.....I'm kinda spoiled by my Fascinates Screen, and Battery, so much so that I may never be able to use anything else.

Upvote 0
I am seeing yellows and blues being the most obvious. I am thinking they may not even be washed out as much as discolored? As stated, the yellow almost looks dirty.

Comparing to the Insipire, I would take the Inspire color reproduction... However, I do like this resolution. I was just expecting more out of the color reproduction.

Upvote 0
Text is cleaner and Better on an LCD! But it all comes down to personal opinion, some people like the clearer text of LCD, some like the Vibrant colors of Super Amo.....I'm kinda spoiled by my Fascinates Screen, and Battery, so much so that I may never be able to use anything else.
I agree that AmOled screens have great (sometimes too much) color saturation, but the only real advantage I see is the true black nature of the pixels that are "turned off" to display black. But I disagree totally about the battery life, from personal experience with my Captivate (and I'm not alone, go read through their threads on this forum). I don't think Super Amoled comes anywhere close to the battery life Samsung claims it gets- it didn't in my experience at any rate. Based off of articles and such I have read since last year, I think the technologies are ranked approximately thusly after testing:
LCD < Amoled < Super Amoled< Super LCD < ?
With the "?" being whatever the next big breakthrough is. The reason for the lower ranking of the SAmoleds is that while it is true that black ("off") pixels save battery, 99% of the things usually brought up on the screen are not true black or completely black, and the screen ends up using more power to over-brighten and over-saturate all of the other colors. There was a major article out about this back when the Galaxy S series was first launched, and other manufacturers were having to switch to sLCD screens, and someone took the time to test them (on the HTC Desire I think actually).

looks very crisp and clear to me I don`t see any issues :D
I agree! I am loving this screen (I can deal with the yellow/orange distortion as it doesn't really bother me)

In terms of color/brightness, it is pretty close to the Amoled screen of my Nexus 1 (although LCD and MUCH more crisp and clearer; and I agree the yellow/orange color is a little off).

Upvote 0
ok not the best shot, but hopefully you see what im talking about here. Took forever to get the restrictions of the board for the image but anyway... there it is.

I wish i could get shootme to work.. complains I need to "enable access to lower level graphics"

Attachments

• blah.png
    blah.png
    127.8 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
maybe they can release an update to fix the color distortion?

It really isn't far enough off for me to notice it unless I sit there and think about it and compare it to something else side by side. Maybe I'm partially colorblind, but after reading this thread I had to look for it to see it...

Good news is that I still have not detected the PenTile matrix yet...

Reactions: jroc
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones