• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix vs Inspire

This is a convincing argument and one thats likely to win me over to the inspire.

Choices, choices!!!

We are in the EXACT same boat my friend. I've been an Atrix fan since about Nov. 2010 when it was the Olympus, but I have been reading these posts, and the Inspire is really looking good. I'm interested in rooting and custom ROM's, but I want the dual-core tech. too. And I'm afraid to go with the Atrix because I may not be able to ever get a custom ROM running, but with HTC, I'll be getting a copy of the other popular HTC phones, the EVO, Desire HD, Thunderbolt, etc...

I'm not sure, but I do know that you can't have the best of both worlds, so we will have to pick one and like it, or trade it the next day for the other.

Matt

Upvote 0
In comparing the claimed battery stats on the two phones, I see that the Atrix has a substantially larger battery (1930 mAh vs 1230 mA). On at&t's website, they claim the following:

Inspire
size: 1230 mAh
talk: 6 hours
standby: 15.5 days

Atrix
size: 1930 mAh
talk: 9 hours
standby: 10.4 days

Any idea why the standby time is much worse for the Atrix? I'm pretty sure it's going to be due to the dual-core CPU, but I don't understand how it would only effect standby time. The CPU should be mostly idle at that point.

Upvote 0
I see the Atrix has 720p output on the HDMI..I thought it was 1080p?

Also will it play .avi and .mkv?

Rumor has it that 1080p will be available after a software update, but that's not confirmed.

As for .avi and .mkv I know you can play those with third party video players, but I don't know if .mkv is supported by default in android. It can play .avi, but i'm not sure about every codec out there (i don't think it supports divx natively)

Anyone else have more experience with this? My Nex1 barely makes it through the day as it is, I generally never play any appreciable length of video.

Upvote 0
Rumor has it that 1080p will be available after a software update, but that's not confirmed.

As for .avi and .mkv I know you can play those with third party video players, but I don't know if .mkv is supported by default in android. It can play .avi, but i'm not sure about every codec out there (i don't think it supports divx natively)

Anyone else have more experience with this? My Nex1 barely makes it through the day as it is, I generally never play any appreciable length of video.

I know most codecs will play using VLC but Im not sure about .mkv or if it will play through the HDMI

Upvote 0
Reactions: skinien
Upvote 0
The Inspire doesn't really register on my radar, just seems like a small, incremental upgrade over the existing crop of phone (with the exception of the 4GLite/3.5G).

Larger display, but with the same resolution, which is my mind is step backwards from 4" 480x800 (plus the iP4 display has spoiled me a bit), Snapdragon (though a newer model), which I don't think has a significant GPU update (my Captivate already has a pretty stout GPU), no FFC, average battery specs.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mean to poo-poo the folks who are considering one, but if you're already running a Nexus S, Captivate, Droid X, you've already got close to the same phone.

The thing that's incredibly interesting about the Atrix, is the totally new platform (Tegra), which has - at least on paper - much faster performance specifications CPU/GPU that just about everything else on the market, or in the queue for the next few months.

Plus the current Android isn't even optimized for dual core, so +assuming+ there's an update (2.3?), the phone could see a substantial spike in performance.

The resolution increase is a major driver for me too.

Though I can understand having reservations about a particular brand. I'm done with Samsung, at least in the foreseeable future (the icing on the cake was when my Samsung 225BW monitor crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago...).

Upvote 0
The Inspire doesn't really register on my radar, just seems like a small, incremental upgrade over the existing crop of phone (with the exception of the 4GLite/3.5G).

Larger display, but with the same resolution, which is my mind is step backwards from 4" 480x800 (plus the iP4 display has spoiled me a bit), Snapdragon (though a newer model), which I don't think has a significant GPU update (my Captivate already has a pretty stout GPU), no FFC, average battery specs.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mean to poo-poo the folks who are considering one, but if you're already running a Nexus S, Captivate, Droid X, you've already got close to the same phone.

The thing that's incredibly interesting about the Atrix, is the totally new platform (Tegra), which has - at least on paper - much faster performance specifications CPU/GPU that just about everything else on the market, or in the queue for the next few months.

Plus the current Android isn't even optimized for dual core, so +assuming+ there's an update (2.3?), the phone could see a substantial spike in performance.

The resolution increase is a major driver for me too.

Though I can understand having reservations about a particular brand. I'm done with Samsung, at least in the foreseeable future (the icing on the cake was when my Samsung 225BW monitor crapped out on me a couple of weeks ago...).

To me it seems as though the only one really supporting dual core is nvidia and its all about the gaming so as I don't game on my phone. The dual core is useless for me. Also like you stated android is optimized for 1ghz processors as of now and once the inspire rexieves gingerbread,which it will get before these others its gonna fly

Upvote 0
To me it seems as though the only one really supporting dual core is nvidia and its all about the gaming so as I don't game on my phone. The dual core is useless for me. Also like you stated android is optimized for 1ghz processors as of now and once the inspire rexieves gingerbread,which it will get before these others its gonna fly

Qualcomm/Snapdragon has a line announced but not ready for production yet (2H 2011 supposedly- think along the lines of the LTE phones AT&T will be launching later on), and TI has one that's an evolution of the OMAP, but after announcing it last summer everything is quiet about it. Samsung has the fabled "Orion" but it has yet to appear anywhere yet either. It is the (near) future, nVidia just beat everyone out the door with it. And given the fact that nVidia has been working on it for a year+ and are a graphics company, I expect it to be the best option for a little while yet, maybe a year...

Upvote 0
Qualcomm/Snapdragon has a line announced but not ready for production yet (2H 2011 supposedly- think along the lines of the LTE phones AT&T will be launching later on), and TI has one that's an evolution of the OMAP, but after announcing it last summer everything is quiet about it. Samsung has the fabled "Orion" but it has yet to appear anywhere yet either. It is the (near) future, nVidia just beat everyone out the door with it. And given the fact that nVidia has been working on it for a year+ and are a graphics company, I expect it to be the best option for a little while yet, maybe a year...

Yes well by then I have my upgrade. So I'm good. :)

Upvote 0
To me it seems as though the only one really supporting dual core is nvidia and its all about the gaming so as I don't game on my phone. The dual core is useless for me.

Dual cores are about general performance, and in particular, about handling concurrent operations. So all sorts of applications can benefit, from the OS to an MP3 player (and especially when running several apps/services at once).

Certainly games can be the most processor intensive types of apps and would benefit, but I wouldn't dismiss the other performance perks!

I suspect from an engineering perspective (especially in a phone implementation), having two cores in a single die provides better performance with less resource consumption/thermal issues[?]

Upvote 0
Dual cores are about general performance, and in particular, about handling concurrent operations. So all sorts of applications can benefit, from the OS to an MP3 player (and especially when running several apps/services at once).

Certainly games can be the most processor intensive types of apps and would benefit, but I wouldn't dismiss the other performance perks!

I suspect from an engineering perspective (especially in a phone implementation), having two cores in a single die provides better performance with less resource consumption/thermal issues[?]

Possible but it all depends how they utilize the cores

Upvote 0
Just for the record, the GPU difference between the EVO's cpu and the Desire/Inspires is monstorous. it throws up just under 2000 quadrants on stock 2.2 froyo. A streamlined custom rom or an official 2.3 would mean even higher results. The Evo doesn't compare at just barely over 1300 quadrants.

Yea I will have to say that people still think this is an EVO and its not its a DESIRE HD+ which kicks the EVO to the curb

Upvote 0
Yea I will have to say that people still think this is an EVO and its not its a DESIRE HD+ which kicks the EVO to the curb

Yes, and it's actually a bit faster with the added ram.

So if the desire is putting just under 2k quadrants, I imagine the the inspire will put just a bit more. If the added ram bumped it to say 2100 quadrants on froyo, then you are about 600 off what the LG optimus 2x benches at. Obviously, the LG will be the faster phone, but once you are getting over 2000+ quadrants it's really not going to matter at this point.

Upvote 0
Yes, and it's actually a bit faster with the added ram.

So if the desire is putting just under 2k quadrants, I imagine the the inspire will put just a bit more. If the added ram bumped it to say 2100 quadrants on froyo, then you are about 600 off what the LG optimus 2x benches at. Obviously, the LG will be the faster phone, but once you are getting over 2000+ quadrants it's really not going to matter at this point.

Exactly and it all depends on which company optimizes its software for thier processors just because the LG and Atrix are in the 2500+ range it doesnt mean they will be better all depends on optimization

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones