• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ATT contact/unlocked phones from Swappa

noahj1102

Sep 21, 2011
Probably a silly question, but I really don't know.

I'm looking to buy a couple phones on Swappa. I'm not sure if I'll buy unlocked or carrier specific. If I buy carrier, it would be ATT.

My question, if I buy carrier specific, how is it activated with ATT? I don't have any contract with them. Would I have to enter a contract.... but obviously I bring my phone (that is purchased through Swappa)? Sign contract and they give me SIM?

Reactions: Martys21
Upvote 0
If you buy a Nexus 6 Unlocked phone, be careful if your going to use it on VZW. Since they are selling the Nexus 6 their IMEI numbers begin with the numbers 99 instead of the 35 that typical unlocked Nexus 6 phones begin with. They can not be activated and it seems that it is a crap shoot if they work at all by just putting in a sim card from an existing VZW account.

You say your going to use AT&T so you will be OK either way. Just buy the least expensive Nexus 6 phone.
BTW..........not sure what phone your looking for. This all has to do with the Nexus 6 but other phones may also be targeted by VZW?

Just buy a locked or unlocked phone for a GSM carrier if you plan to use it on AT&T. Also, if you buy the phone, just take it to a company AT&T store and they should give you the sim card free and sign you up to GoPhone. That is my experience.

GoPhone thru AT&T has a $60 plan that has 4GB of high speed (LTE) data and starting May 15th they included roll over data for 30 days! If you use discounts, it will cost $54 an month for this plan (no taxes and fees).

Upvote 0
If you buy a Nexus 6 Unlocked phone, be careful if your going to use it on VZW. Since they are selling the Nexus 6 their IMEI numbers begin with the numbers 99 instead of the 35 that typical unlocked Nexus 6 phones begin with. They can not be activated and it seems that it is a crap shoot if they work at all by just putting in a sim card from an existing VZW account.

You say your going to use AT&T so you will be OK either way. Just buy the least expensive Nexus 6 phone.
BTW..........not sure what phone your looking for. This all has to do with the Nexus 6 but other phones may also be targeted by VZW?

Just buy a locked or unlocked phone for a GSM carrier if you plan to use it on AT&T. Also, if you buy the phone, just take it to a company AT&T store and they should give you the sim card free and sign you up to GoPhone. That is my experience.

GoPhone thru AT&T has a $60 plan that has 4GB of high speed (LTE) data and starting May 15th they included roll over data for 30 days! If you use discounts, it will cost $54 an month for this plan (no taxes and fees).

So the Go Phone plan is using the roll over as well? Good to know.

Additionally, where do I find any discounts for the $60 plan?

Upvote 0
Hi! First of all it is necessary that the phone has been unlocked before you going to connect it to the new carrier for your example - AT&T. Not so long ago I bought used iPhone 5S but it was blocked ATT. So first, ask the seller at SWAPPA to send to you IMEI number of gadget. Then check it for blacklist \ stolen status, carrier name, and contract status (on\off) - for example i use free IMEI check tools here but it was develop only for iPhone. I think you can find also free tools for samsung - use google for research :) All this info need to know if you want to use it with different networks and protect you from scams. If you find free imei check tools for samsung - please give us link.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones