Att gets the Nexus One before V

Last Updated:

1. jestexman

jestexman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. Fonseca

Fonseca Well-Known Member

It is probably easier to do that, due to the fact that Verizon uses a CDMA network.

3. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Not too surprising. This model cleared the FCC before the CDMA version anyways, didn't it?

4. Bill

Bill Well-Known Member

The problem is it does not appear to have any subsidized pricing. Unlike T-mobile if you pay full price you can get a cheeper plan.

Bill

5. doomedromance

doomedromance Well-Known Member

Who cares. The Droid is better. If you dont like the keyboard wrap clear packing tape around the phone haha.

6. Crush_Buds

Crush_Buds Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I think this post is very misleading. They are not getting it before Verizon. It is being sold as an unlocked phone and therefore it can be USED on AT&T and T-Mobile as a unlocked GSM phone. AT&T is in no way offering the phone at a subsided price with a contract as T-Mobile is, and how Verizon will.

P.S. I am confused why this is in the Droid thread too.

7. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

Well the difference is this version can be used on the ATT network WITH 3G. So in that case the title isn't misleading at all.

8. Crush_Buds

That's like saying T-Mobile got the iPhone before Verizon. A ton of unlocked phones work with either network. That doesn't mean they are dubbed to be "getting x phone on their network." It is just compatible. That's how the US phone market works. When I say I'm with Verizon, it means I have a contract with Verizon and the phone was subsidized by them.

9. Fabolous

Not exactly. Running an iPhone on T-mobile is the equivalent of running the T-Mobile version of the N1 on AT&T. EDGE only. Also, the iPhone was never offered unlocked in the US.

This new version is unlocked, and runs 3G on AT&T bands. Just because they're not subsidizing the phone doesn't mean it's not for them.

As for Verizon, I bought my Droid unsubsidized. Does that mean I'm not with Verizon or that it's not for Verizon?

10. Crush_Buds

Good points. Would the AT&T version not work on T-Mobile should a consumer decide to switch?

I still think saying AT&T gets the Nexus One before Verizon is a stretch. You will not see a Droid running on any other network in this country. And AT&T will in no way advertise that they are offering the Nexus one. It's just saying you have a Nexus one and your cell service is AT&T. I just don't see the two connected at the hip as T-Mobile and Verizon are. You do have a very good point though.

11. Fabolous

While AT&T and T-Mobile are both GSM networks, their 3G data runs on different frequencies.

So running the T-Mobile version of the N1 on AT&T would only result in 2.5G speeds (EDGE), and vice versa.

Voice will be the same for both networks.

So basically, if you don't purchase the correct N1 corresponding to your network, you'll still be able to make calls and use data, but you'll be restricted to slower speeds (EDGE has a theoretical max of 384kbps, I think)

12. QrafTee

Wrong, T-Mobile didn't get the iPhone because Apple didn't officially sell it that way--support it. Google, on the other hand, did. There is the "official" way and the "hacked/jailbroken/rooted" way, they're very different things when we're talking about reporting news.
    There are hundreds of phones that are not advertised by certain carriers, yet, are still their phones.

13. Crush_Buds

Yet the phone will work with both networks...

14. QrafTee

If gimped and not designed to fully utilize a certain network means work.

15. tsaunders

tsaunders Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have stayed with AT&T then I could have a Nexus One - :p

16. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Moved...