• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ATT OLAM Data Details Question

sharksfan7

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
So I'm on my first week with the Inspire and have used it almost exclusively on WiFi. I've actually turned off Mobile Network when I'm at home. Now I'm looking at my data usage for this week just to see what it looks like. There is a single entry from last night for 10390KB of data which I have no idea what it could have been. In the To/From column it just lists "phone". All the other entries for data list "wap.cingular". Can anyone shed any light as to what the "phone" refers to? Are there apps that will turn on the mobile network to send data even if wifi is available?

I use an App (Toggle Net Switch) to control usage. If you aren't careful, when you device goes to sleep, it will turn off Wifi and then if At&t pushes a software update (which I suspect this was) in the middle of the night and it will come across as 3g. I had that happen a few months ago when I had to use an old Blackberry for 3 days, it downloaded a software update which exceeded my 200MB limit (At&t did remove the charges for me).

There are some options, but I don't recall where they are to keep wifi on all the time and don't put it to sleep.

When you turn your device on after it has been dark, do you see the 3G symbol for a second before it changes to Wifi? That was my first sign there was something fishy in the pond.

With Toggle Net Switch, I keep the 3G turned off except when I want it. Since I ride a Motorcycle, it doesn't help that the device is searching for a signal while I am riding, I helps keep my usage down too, so far in 8 months, my highest usage has been about 75MB.

Upvote 0
To make sure wifi is always on you do menu-settings-wireless & networks-wireless settings-menu-advanced-wifi sleep policy.

I have a few inspires which I also leave on wifi too. Sending and receiving picture/video messages do not use wifi but instead use the mobile network. If you look at the time that happened did anyone send a pic or something to you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones