ATT vs International VersionGeneral

Last Updated: 2012-02-17 01:18:15
  1. hyp3rdr1v3

hyp3rdr1v3 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

So i'm considering selling my Atrix 4g in order to get a galaxy sII. I'm currently on AT&T and I have a few questions about whether I should go for the AT&T or international version.

First off, will I be able to access "4G" speeds (HSPA+ 21.1 if i'm correct) on AT&T with an international version?

And secondly, what are the major differences between the two? As far as I know the ATT version has 4 capacitative buttons, has no notification led, but does have a NFC chip. Whereas the international version has an led, a single home screen button, but no NFC. Is this correct?

Advertisement
  2. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

The international version does not have an led unfortunately. Also it is a little thinner than the AT&T version, hardly noticeable. Also the back on the AT&T version is a little different, a different texture and it also has the Words Galaxy S II on the back where the international version just says Samsung.
  3. edshropshire

edshropshire Active Member

The international version also has a little touch pad on the phone. My friend from Germany came over last month with his GS2. I guess they also have the FM radio.
  4. dmlv

dmlv Member

i have had both. sold my int'l version and purchased the att one the first day it was released.
    Personally, I much prefer AT&T over the int'l.
    1. Most important. Sound quality. Excellent on the AT&T vers. I noticed a background hiss with the int'l that i do not with att's.
    3. I prefer AT&T's text/sms app vs int'l. I like the color layout. The Int'l version gives you 3 or 4 color option but vs. att just one. But for some reason the colors stand out....clean simple.
    4. att's give you the stock gingerbread keyboard along with samsungs and swipe. I only use the gingerbread one..it is excellent. I know it is something you can download in the market but to have it build into the software is better.
    5....for me i do like having the 4 capacitive buttons vs the physical hm....just my opinion. However, that hm button allows you to wake up the device similar to the one on the iphone.
    6. With the Int'l version, you have yo create APN settings in order for sms to work. Not a big deal but you do have to search the forums to find the correct settings....
    7. By purchasing AT&T's you have a warranty. This is a big deal should something mechanically go wrong (screen, etc). You just call cust serv and they swap it out.
    One advantage the Int'l version has is case options. It has been out all over the world for so long that there are plenty to choose from. AT&T's is slightly thicker due to NFC being built into the battery. With the US getting late to the party, no way the manufacturers are going to produce cases for the att version. We are stuck with the poor options AT&T stores offer.

Best of luck
    hyp3rdr1v3 and mightymoose02 like this.
  5. Baldilocks

Baldilocks Well-Known Member

It's not a touch pad, it's a home button. And yes, mine has an FM Radio.

It's also on the $10 a month Unlimited Data Plan for regular phones.
  6. hyp3rdr1v3

hyp3rdr1v3 Well-Known Member

Can I access the same AT&T '4g' hspa+ data with the international version? And does the international version have an nfc chip? Android beam on ICS looks great
  7. Baldilocks

Yes, it has the same 21Mbps HSPA+ on the same bands that the AT&T version does.

As far as the NFC goes, I really have no idea.
  8. Jahmakan

Jahmakan Well-Known Member

No NFC on my int'l model.
  9. Baldilocks

Nor in mine.. pulled the battery cover to check.
  10. vikingjunior

vikingjunior Well-Known Member

international modell now comes with NFC.
  11. iHuman

iHuman Active Member

The international model is guaranteed an update to ICS on March 1. AT&T, not so sure. You might have to wait until April.
  12. epvq30

epvq30 Member

The international model is not covered by Samsung warranty in case something wrong happens to it.
    i almost got the int version until i found out about the warranty coverage.