Attach sound to messageSupport

Last Updated:

1. S-Fly

S-Fly Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I have a Motorola Droid with 2.2 and was wondering how can I attach a sound file (wave,mp3ext) to a text message?

The guy I got the phone from has no idea whats up and I have a co-worker who has the same phone has the option.

When I hit "Attach" here is whats in the menu:

Pictures
    Capture Picture
    Videos
    Capture Video
    Record Audio
    Slideshow
    Does anyone have an idea on what I need to install or what I need to do?
    I thought about restoring to defaults but not sure how and I would hate to lose my contact info (I hope it automatically added to my gmail)

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

Handcent SMS will allow you to attach an mp3, I haven't tried other audio formats. What I'm not sure of, is if the other person will be able to recieve the file. I've only done it a couple times, and the recipient also had Handcent installed. I doubt this would be a hang-up, but just something to keep in mind.

3. S-Fly

S-Fly Member This Topic's Starter

lol wow I never tried that with handcent, I was almost ready to take it off when I read your post. Thanks man!
    Still odd that the default messaging program doesnt have that option

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

If you install Rings Extended, a free app from the market, it allows you to select any music file on your SDCard to manipulate. In addition, when in the stock messaging app, when you click on Audio, you now get prompted with a second menu - one that gives you a choice between Android System and Rings Extended - using Rings Extended, you can now attach your music files to SMS without having to use Handcent.

5. defkorn

defkorn Well-Known Member

I was using both of those apps when I did this, didn't realize all you needed was Rings Extended.

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I actually found out accidentally when I tried to do what you were doing - and it (Rings Extended) popped up the same way it pops up when I go to change a notification.

So we both learned something about Rings Extended :D