• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Attachments are missing. Do you want to download them again?

IraS

Lurker
Apr 26, 2013
This is a problem that started about 2 weeks ago, very shortly (perhaps immediately) after an update from Verizon. Up until then (about 18 months of use), all was well.

Any email I receive using the default MAIL app that has an attachment won't open. I get the little icon with an error symbol and it shows 0.00B length. If I tap on it, the message "Attachments are missing. Do you want to download them again?" comes up. Tapping OK makes an attempt to download, then goes back to the error icon.

This is for any type of attachment that I've tried: PDF, DOC, XLS, JPG, etc.

The only account I have on this app is a Comcast account. The attachment(s) are all on their server. I can access them via the Comcast web interface, or via Outlook on my desktop. Nothing gets cleared from their server (I have it set for everything to retain old email).

I called HTC support. Their first solution was to wipe the account and try again. I tried adding a new account that the phone never saw before, and still the same problem. HTC's next suggestion was to wipe the phone back to factory fresh, and if that didn't work they'd actually look at the problem.

The apps that work with the files (Adobe, Polaris Office, etc.) all work fine to open their associated file type(s) when tried via the Download folder or through other apps, so I know it's not the associated app's fault. Actually, they don't even get called, since the attachment never gets downloaded.

Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones