Attempted to Root, no success

Last Updated:

1. sixstringedmatt

sixstringedmatt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,

So I followed that Universal Root guide and have gotten stuck at the recovery console. Up + Power starts the phone's normal OS. When I try to boot from Down + Power and then push Vol + I can't get into the Amon recovery. Am I missing something here?

It checks for something, then I have FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, CLEAR STORAGE, and SIMLOCK.

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

im not sure if you have amons recovery already in place. boot up like normal and then in an adb shell tyoe

adb reboot recovery

that will take you to the recovery menu. if it doesnt then something else went wrong and you gotta back-track

3. sixstringedmatt

Excuse my noobishness, but what is adb shell? I followed everything to the T in respect to the gscript lite prompts, and upon reboot after the Congratulations screen, I have nothing. This is the only exposure I have had to rooting.

4. andrizoid

ok well do it this way. download terminal emulator from the market. then open it up and tryp reboot recovery then hit enter

5. sixstringedmatt

It says not permitted. I assume nothing is there, do I start from reinstalling root1 and then continue?

6. andrizoid

no
    my mistake
    type
    su
    then
    reboot recovery

7. sixstringedmatt

It says permission denied. Yikes!

Thanks for all your help in advance by the way!

8. andrizoid

then your not rooted. download and install this app. then open it and follow the instructions

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/erisone010.apk

EDIT: after following the instructions and rebooting, then you will be rooted with the amons recovery image. just use volume up + power and your good to go

9. sixstringedmatt

I will give that a shot after retrying the Universal Root guideline. Thanks so much! I will let you know soon how it all goes!

EDIT: going to use the apk now -- is it normal for the Universal method to NOT work?

10. andrizoid

this is WAY easier. its one click...

11. sixstringedmatt

EDIT as this is more important: This does not open a new recovery console or anything after clicking and rebooting. When I go to Terminal to enter su, I still have denied permission.

I am on official 2.1, is that the issue? I read on the universal site it did NOT matter anymore if you were on 2.1 rather than 1.5 -- am I incorrect?

12. andrizoid

its not going to backup anything, but theres really no reason to backup your stock settings. unrooting is really easy too-i just went through this whole process last night when i got my new refurb-just use the leak 2.1 PB00IMG.zip to revert to stock and unroot

13. sixstringedmatt

Awesome, and I assume (once I get this working) I just use the root guide and load up the leaked .zip rather than whatever ROM I choose?

14. andrizoid

dont do edits, it throws off my train of thought :p

so you used the app? you clicked it and rebooted?

to unroot you just put the pb00img on your sdcard, boot to fastboot and sit back.

15. sixstringedmatt

Ahh sorry for the edits -- not sure how the board feels about double posting!

Yes, tried the one click, rebooted and nothing, just the normal Android skateboarders. Tried typing in SU in terminal and nothing!

16. andrizoid

after you reboot you need to boot to recovery though, not just reboot like normal. and if your trying the terminal method to get to recovery you need to have a super user app

just turn you phone off, press the volume up button, hold it, then press and hold the power button until the androids pop up

17. sixstringedmatt

When I hold up and hit power, it just boots back into the phone normally -- no new console.

While were at it, can you link me to a safe PB00IMG file?

18. andrizoid

use the 2.1 leak 3 one posted by caddyman

hold down and then hit power...after it checks everything, then hit volume up.
    whats that do?

19. sixstringedmatt

Says some things are missing the nsits on the FASTBOOT, RECOVERY, etc. screen and just scrolls up and down.

20. andrizoid

huh?
    your going to have to be specific and typo-free or else im not going to understand this part

holding volume down and power should take you to hboot. it should run a lot of text saying that its checking for something and its not found. then you should have two options, one of which is volume up for recovery. when you hit volume up what happens?

21. sixstringedmatt

My apologies -- thought I typed it all in correctly, getting used to a new keyboard.

When it is done checking and notices things are missing, I CAN scroll up but it just moves the cursor to FASTROOT.

I have (under HBOOT) FASTBOOT then RECOVERY then CLEAR STORAGE then SIMLOCK.

22. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

I don't know why andrizoid is telling you to do what he is - unless he suspects you have the 1.46 bootloader, and wants you to flash in place a stock phone ROM first so that you will have a newer bootloader before you begin rooting.

But first, your OP (original post) never mentioned that you flashed a ROM. Did you do that? If you didn't then, you certainly won't get a su shell prompt.

The thing is, I only remember ever having the bootloader giving me "SIMLOCK" options if there had been a PB00IMG.ZIP file on root of the SD card, and I rejected the option to flash it.

So, try this instead:

- Turn your phone off
    - Eject the SD Card
    - Hold down both the Send button and the End button (hold down the Send button first) until the screen comes on. This should put you into FASTBOOT mode.
    - Then, select the option in that screen to go to HBOOT (bootloader) mode
    - Then, on *that* screen, select the option to go to RECOVERY.

At this point you will either get into Amon_RA's recovery, or you did not actually succeed at the rooting method. If you did not succeed, go back and re-apply the rooting steps (using the regular OS of the phone) - either the Dummies method or the One Click method. (They both produce the same result, which is: installation of Amon_RA only).

Let me know what you observe. Be precise in your description.

eu1

23. andrizoid

does it say
    Code (Text):
    2. <VOL UP> Recovery
    if it does then press volume up.

24. sixstringedmatt

Selecting recovery gets me to that new console... sorry for the confusion, did not realize I had to select recovery (as I was looking for a completely different screen).

I am loading Eris Official 1.0 right now, my PC does not recognize the phone though -- should I be worried or wait until the new ROM installs?

25. andrizoid

im not trying to have him flash anything yet. im just trying to get him to recovery. he cant get to it with the normal shortcut, so i figured id take him the long way throgh the hboot menu