Attempting root via Goldcard - help please!

1. Mikey Avoc

Mikey Avoc Member

Hi All

I am attempting my first root but am unsure about a couple of things. Any help would be much appreciated.

I am running Android 2.3.5 and Sense 3.0 with S-ON and HBoot 2.00.0002 (more phone details at the bottom).

Unfortunately my HBoot is not supported by revolutionary so I am going to attempt to install a different RUU with a Goldcard, and then s-off and root with revolutionary. Is this a good approach?

How do I know which RUU should I use? Someone from XDA used the following from shipped ROMs collection - [ROM]Shipped Desire S ROM Collection - xda-developers):
    RUU_Saga_HTC_Thailand_1.35.1113.2_Radio_20.28d.30.0805U_3805.04.02.01_M_release_183327_signed.exe

Why this one? How do you know what HBoot you'll end up with? I got my phone unbranded from a Hong Kong supplier, so should I use an Asia RUU?

I'm also confused as to what to do once I've created the goldcard. How do you install the RUU from that point? Do I need to extract the .zip from the RUU.exe and rename it to PB99IMG.zip, and put it on the root of the goldcard? I have seen this on Desire forums but not Desire S. And how do I proceed from there?

I only have one MicroSD at the moment. Is it recommended to have another, or can I back this one up to my computer and use that?

Sorry if these are noob questions. I've done lots of searching and reading to get to this point!

Additional phone details:
    SAGA PVT SHIP S-ON RL
    HBOOT- 2.00.0002
    RADIO- 3822.10.08.04_M
    eMMC- boot

Software number 2.15.832.5

Please let me know if you need any more information, and thanks in advance!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mikey Avoc

Mikey Avoc Member

I put this under Desire S general (instead of All Things Root) and don't think I can move it. Sorry!
  3. FoX777

FoX777 Well-Known Member

@Mikey Avoc

Yip you have come down with the confusion bug, but i'm sure with some reading you'll be right as rain.

Okay I'll try explain as best as possible;
    First up you are partly correct on the on your first point. Yes revolutionary won't work and you will have to downgrade, it isn't as straight forward as installing a RUU, it involves getting temp root, changing you phones mics version and then only installing the RUU (Use this RUU RUU_Saga_HKCSL_CHT_1.47.832.1_Radio_20.28I.30.085AU_3805.06.02.03_M_release_199606_signed.exe).

Check this thread to downgrade.

Another option to downgrading (which I don't recommend) is to use HTCdev to unlock your phone and avoiding downgrading and revolutionary.

Its hard to tell which hboot you will end up with (without downloading it), but I think it would be 0.98.0002, although you can download it and see on the PC.

You can run the RUU from the PC or you can extract the rom.zip and flash it your way.

Now onto you goldcard confusion.... All a goldcard does is allow you install a RUU which is intended for say Europe.

Yes backup your data on the PC, but I really uege MAKE A GOLDCARD, follow this guide.

You will format the memcard when you create the goldcard (so back it up), also it can be used as a normal memory card, however a goldcard should rather be kept in a safe place out of harms way.
    Mikey Avoc likes this.
  4. Mikey Avoc

Mikey Avoc Member

@FoX777 Thank you!

I successfully downgraded and have now got root access!

Now the fun begins...