Attempting to install custom ROM - phone not booting to recovery mode

Last Updated:

1. mrobbo

mrobbo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all. Ok, it seems like I jumped onto a thread in the wrong forum, hence a new thread.

I have an HTC Hero and am in the UK (therefore, GSM).

Phone info :-

Firmware = 1.5

Baseband version = 63.18.55.06JU_6.35.08.29

Kernel version = 2.6.27-430d1aea
    htc-kernel@and18-2 #959

Build number = 2.73.61.66 CL#82177 release-keys

I am following this guide, which has been written for UK users to assist with the installation of custom ROMs.

[Guide] Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom [Updated 19/03] - xda-developers

I have performed the following successfully :-

1. Rooted the phone (I am certina of this as I can successfully run apps which require a rooted phone)

2. Backed up contacts with HTC sync (albeit with a struggle due to Windows 7 issues - got there in the end though)

3. Backed up microSD card onto PC, the formatted microSD card

4. Copied Flashrec.apk and Amon_Ra's Hero Recovery Image onto root, using Flashrec to perform the backup and flashing the recovery image (via ASTROmanager) *

* To so this, I had to revert Orange ROM from 2.73.61.66 to 2.73.61.5

So far, so good.

5. Downloaded custom ROM 'Legendary v1.3.5'

6. Plugged Hero into PC, mount, and copy entire zipped file 'Legendary-v1.3.5-signed' onto microSD root, and renamed it 'update.zip"

7. Here's where I fall over. When I turn my phone off, and try to start it up to Recovery Mode (holding down Home and Power), the phone hangs on the 'HTC' screen and does not go any further. I have not bricked the phone, as I can start it up normally. However, I cannot get to Recovery Mode to perform the wipe, etc...

Any idea where I can going wrong? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. james

james Well-Known Member

I would try reflashing the recovery first.
    If you're already rooted, just open a terminal and enter
    Code (Text):
    1. flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img
    Or whatever the filename is for your recovery image, then give it another go.

Or try reflashing again with the first method you used.

If that doesn't work, is your phone branded, ie. Orange? As that might be the problem?

edit-just in case something goes wrong I can't be held accountable!

3. mrobbo

Thanks James, I will have another go tonight, using your suggestions. Point taken about accountability ;)

Just so I am sure...

The custom ROM I have is zipped up, and within it are four folders and a file called 'boot'.

Do I
    a) copy the entire zipped up folder to the sdcard and rename this 'update.zip'
    b) copy all four folders to the sdcard, and rename boot 'update.zip'
    c) Copy just boot to the sdcard, and rename it 'update.zip'
    d) None of the above :)

I hope I manage to sort this out. I feel like I am close yet so far! Thanks.

4. james

james Well-Known Member

I forgot to add, you need to type 'su' and hit enter before entering the flash_image command, so:
    Code (Text):
    1. su
    2. flash_image recovery /sdcard/<name of recovery image>.img
    You'll want to copy the entire zipped folder to your sdcard, although with the latest RA recovery it's not necessary to rename the file to update.zip anymore.

Good luck, hope you get it installed tonight!

mrobbo likes this.
  5. mrobbo

Thanks again. What is your preferred terminal application? I have downloaded Terminal Emulator, and there is no soft keyboard, even when I press and hold Menu button as reported elsewhere.

6. james

james Well-Known Member

7. mrobbo

8. mrobbo

All sorted now :)

I downloaded another version of the Amon Ra recovery, and was then able to boot into recover, where I have this evening doen the nandroid backup, installed custom ROM, upgraded radio, etc. I've learned a lot, and feel confident now about installed further custom ROMs and bits and pieces in the future.

Thanks for your help earlier, James.

9. james

james Well-Known Member

Awesome, glad you got it sorted :)

10. perceptor

perceptor Member

Hi,

I have a similar problem where I rooted my phone and then flashed the ROM as per this thread.

http://androidforums.com/all-things...nstall-custom-rom-backup-more.html#post454660

The problem is I cant boot in the recovery mode, all I am left is black screen with Hero logo on it though I can start the phone normally otherwise. I used latest Amon Ra recovery image as recovery-RA-hero-v1.6.2.img so is it something creating problem? Can you help me sharing which Amon RA recovery image you used to go into the recovery mode? My main concern is to update radio. I am just concerned about taking nandroid backup so couple of questions:
    1. Do I really need to do a nandroid backup for upgrading radio?
    2. I am on stock Hero ROM for Orange (though unlocked and rooted), what is the suitable recovery image for me to go into recovery mode?

Thanks in advance for the help.

/perceptor