1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General Attention Note 2 Users/Lurkers Please Read and Comment

Should the section be split up?

1. Yes, spilt the section up. One for Int'l and one for US versions.

108 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. No, leave both Int'l and US versions threads in one place.

57 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

Members,

With the International Note 2 already being sold and the US versions about to within the next few weeks, this forum has gotten larger. I've noticed that there are quite a few threads from both sides of the pond (Europe and US) and it is getting to be a bit harder in determining whether the post in question is pertaining to the International version or the US version.

Therefore I would like for the members to kindly vote whether the site should add another section for the Galaxy Note 2. This one can probably stay as the International version since it came out already and the new one for the US versions.

If voted to create a new section is approved, I'll move the threads to their appropriate sections.

Vote Today :D

TS

Advertisement
  2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Either way, we'll definitely have different root forums. :)
    dan330 and twospirits like this.
  3. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Guide

My vote is going for splitting it up. I can only imagine how confusing it may become for some folk once the US versions arrive.
    iP0wN and twospirits like this.
  4. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member

A lot of s3 users would be annoyed since their requests for this have all been knocked back. What you decide here should become policy.

Personally I think carrier prefixes are the best option
    JaniceK, treb1797, lennydude and 2 others like this.
  5. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

I vote for keeping everything in the same forum, but splitting up the root sections.

My main reasoning behind this is, the phone (for the most part) is going to be the same across all providers, so there will be valuable information that could translate to every version (regardless of provider).

There certainly will be threads that would obviously be specific to hardware additions that won't be on other providers (e.g. SIM card discussions, TV antenna discussions (Korean version), carrier specific bloatware apps), but the overall phone and functions of TouchWiz should be the same overall.

After all, it's not that everybody participates in every single thread that's created, but I think by keeping a singular SG Note 2 forum, it allows a broader sense of community for Android Forums members, both Internationally and in the US. This is actually the part of deciding on upgrading to the Galaxy Note 2 that I was looking forward to. In my past couple years with Android (Evo and Photon), I never got the experience of being able to share information with people who had the same phone on different providers (because both Android phones I had were not offered anywhere except for Sprint). I was really looking forward to much broader discussions than I've had in the past.

Of course, I think the easiest way to alleviate any "confusion," is maybe on the drop down bar, when selecting the topic of a new thread, the provider can be added as an indicator, so that people will know if it's a "carrier specific" concern or if it's a general concern? Not sure how easy that would be to add, but just a thought.
    PiscesCloud and ScandaLeX like this.
  6. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Let's wait until the official announcement to see what changes there are. Looking at the FCC filings, we may be faced with an S2 situation where we need a WHOLE forum for each carrier.
    twospirits likes this.
  7. drexappeal

I think all the carrier specific versions have had leaked images already and all things point to the physical attributes at least looking the same visually. I can't confirm that the dimensions are the same, but I haven't watched any reviews stating otherwise.

The FCC filings were definitely confusing because the dimensions of the diagrams all looked different (leading many to believe there would be physical "variants"). The only FCC filing diagram that looked similar to the dimensions of the international version was the Sprint filing (and I believe the Verizon).
    breadnatty08 and twospirits like this.
  8. SoulSmilen

SoulSmilen Well-Known Member

Tough call.. there are certainly carrier specific questions, but I do like to read all posts because no matter the variant, there is alwaus something of interest to me or something to learn.

I'm a heavy lurker so far, but get closer to posting everyday, the more I learn from the regulars. :)

Sub-forums maybe? There are plusses and minuses no matter how it's done, so glad it's not my decision. Haha
    PiscesCloud and twospirits like this.
  9. almath

almath Well-Known Member

I voted keep it together, any news is worth me wishing I had it already! When the US gets their version we'll just bump those international post to the bottom.... and noone scrolls to the bottom, right? ;)
    twospirits likes this.
  10. drexappeal

There are many pros/cons to keeping a forum like this together vs. separating, however keeping the general forum together leads to more work for the Guides/Mods/Admins, just as far as keeping the sub-forum organized without a multitude of duplicate threads, while keeping good discussions going and not getting a cluster flock (yes, flock is a replacement word) of jumbled information and adding confusion.

I guess the main question would be, will there be enough Guides/Mods that will have this device that can support maintaining the order of a general forum that could be quite massive (if kept together). If it's unrealistic for that to happen (which is very understandable), then it's probably more advantageous to separate the forum.

Overall, I think that keeping the forum together builds a greater sense of community...a more global approach to discussions about a great device, rather than it being isolated to specific carriers and/or international GSM versions or other variants. Samsung did a lot to keep providers (especially in the US) from creating "variants" of their devices, so that their devices could be globally recognized. I like that idea. The fact that I've already had discussions with people in the UK, Korea, Philippines, India...about the same device...to me, that's broadening the scope of what being an Android fanatic is all about, IMO...It's Open, not closed.
  11. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

You sound like a staff member. oh wait, you were. :p

Good, good. I like this. If the vote is to separate, I'll push it up the chain of command, if not, then it stays as is.

I was on the side of separating but you folks bring up very good points overall of keeping it as is. And as always, I will abide by what you folks decide.

Keep it coming. And please do the right thing and Vote. :D

This campaign advertisement approved by TS
    drexappeal likes this.
  12. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

Hmmm...I gave this some thought and my vote would be to keep it together.
    Why?.....Glad you asked. It's a global phone (starts singing We Are The World)....chime in if you feel me. :D We already have carrier threads.

If kept together it allows us to broaden our horizons and actually learn a little more from each other than we knew yesterday. Also, (without singing Kumbayah) at the end of the day, there isn't much reason to separate them. If the phone remains the same across all carriers we'll actually just continue building the Note community rather than dividing it.
  13. marlbororman

marlbororman Well-Known Member

i voted to keep as it is, i enjoy reading how everyone is sharing the experience. By all means split the rooting if different methods etc. prevail, but keep the majority the same. It makes for pleasurable reading :)
  14. drexappeal

If this guy ^^ is regulating over the Note 2 forum, there's no question I'd keep it the same...just to keep him busy...LOL :p :cheers: bro.:beer:
    twospirits likes this.
  15. drexappeal

For the Old School folks:
    USA for Africa - We are the World - YouTube

And the New School:
    We Are The World 25 For Haiti - Official Video - YouTube
    KOLIO likes this.
  16. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG you crack me up. I had not thought of including videos. :D
  17. wyndslash

wyndslash Well-Known Member

pls keep it together :)
  18. SoulSmilen

Ok I voted finally, says the Old School chick.

I'm lovin you guys, no way in hell I'd wanna miss all the fun and insight; if it goes separate, I'd just have to hop all over the place for my knowledge and smiles! :p
  19. aentropy

aentropy Active Member

If you split it up I would say wait until we are closer to the US launch.
    twospirits likes this.
  20. SoulSmilen

No videos?? Didn't think?!??

Scandalex! :hahaha:
  21. drexappeal

Comments like these say it all. This is what I had missed with the EVO community, for so long (but again, that was limited to Sprint customers). So, for those mods that remember how the EVO community was, even months prior to release...just imagine how great it'll be in here, except on a global scale!

And right on cue, I'm glad wyndslash chimed in cuz she's in the Philippines (right?)!

I think it just adds a much better dynamic to the interaction of all the Phandroid folks with No Provider-lines...LOL.
    twospirits likes this.
  22. SoulSmilen

This!^^

Not to mention... Provider lines change much more frequently now than they did in Evo times and prior. I get dizzy trying to keep up with Joe Blow hopping from Sprint to AT&T to Verizon, to T-Mobile, back to AT&T, then.. then.. you get my drift.
    twospirits likes this.
  23. wyndslash

wyndslash Well-Known Member

yes, i'm from the philippines :D Samsung is the #1 mobile vendor here, and they recently had a Thank You sale to celebrate that :)
  24. drexappeal

Yup...that's the other "pro" about keeping it together (at least the general, non-rooting, forum). Rather than debating about "which provider is better," I prefer just talking about the phone itself and what the phone can/can't do, regardless of provider.

I have to apologize in advance to the G-Note 2 bros. and sis' outside the US (since this reference is to an incident that happened in L.A., CA back in 1991), but in the words of Rodney King:
    Can We All Just Get Along? For The Kids & Old People? RODNEY KING SPEAKS! - YouTube
    twospirits likes this.
  25. apjans

apjans Well-Known Member

International and US are using the same hardware and software right? Keep 'em the same for regular, split root up by carrier I say.