3. I HAVE NOT used Wifi and HAVE had the bug

6.7%
  4. I HAVE NOT used Wifi and HAVE NOT had the bug

10.9%

Last Updated:

1. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello fellow Moment user!

As you may or may not know there is a "bug" that has been plaguing many Moment users. This bug randomly puts the phone into "Airplane Mode", this disables the cellular radio and will put a small "x" next to the signal bars on the display. It also may or may not, indicate that "Airplane Mode" has been activated. This will prohibit calls and data to and from the phone. When it will indicate that Airplane mode has been activated, turning it off will do nothing. Most of the time it seems either a soft reset (power down and remove battery) or hard reset will solve the situation. However, there have been reports that users have had to exchange phones for a new unit to resolve the issue.

The point of this thread is to collect data to determine the potential cause/ triggering of this bug. It has been noted frequently that the onset of this bug follows the enabling or use of Wifi, not just the Wifi toggle widget.

Please indicate in the poll as to what your experiences are, this includes those who have not had the bug affect them.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement
  2. Adrift

Lol... 13 views no votes...hmmmm...

3. chibucks

chibucks Well-Known Member

No bug for WIFI. I don't use GPS though.

edit to add: Use WIFI everyday. Toggle with Quick Settings.

4. Adrift

At this point, GPS appears to have no correlation with the bug.

5. thebrain

thebrain Active Member

I have found that by uninstalling the WiFi toggle app. The random airplain mode bug has dissappeared.

6. Zumaki

Zumaki Well-Known Member

I use the Battery Widget to toggle wifi/gps. Enabled wifi a few times, but with locked networks, so I never got it to work, and have spent 98% of the time I've owned the phone with wifi off. No bug.

7. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

I've used wifi about 10 times. Have a wifi toggle widget. Never had the issue.

8. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

I use WiFi all the time and have only had the phone do this when the battery is about to die. The signal slowly degrades until it doesn't pick anything up anymore.

9. Adrift

But its not that it is going into Airplane mode and the Cell Radio is not disabled?

10. brandonok

brandonok Well-Known Member

Use wifi pretty regular to download ringtones or apps never had this problem.

Fingers Crossed!!!!

11. MrGadget256

MrGadget256 Well-Known Member

Maybe a modification to the Poll? How many times has it happened? For me only once, but I do not use wi-fi regularly.

Oh yeah maybe this needs to be a sticky or it's going to fall down :)

12. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

I have used WiFi quite a bit and never hit this bug. CalWidget, DigitalClock, and WxWidget are the only widgets used. QuickSettings is used to toggle comm peripherals.

13. Adrift

Even if it happens once, please report as having had the bug occur. I'm just trying to get a rough estimate of yes / no, and whether or not Wifi was involved.

14. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

Thanks Adrift for putting this together. I reported on my situiation (yes to wifi and yes to the bug, unfortunately).

15. Adrift

Just a quick BUMP.... Need as many votes as possible.

16. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Just happened to me for the first time today. Didn't say anything about airplane mode, just suddenly had an 'X' on my bars.:confused: So mark me down as a victim:(

17. raiderep

raiderep Member

I have never turned on Wi-Fi but I did have the phone somehow end up with airplane mode turned on. It only happened once and it was on my first day of owning and playing with it so I assumed I turned it on by mistake. This is the first I have heard of it, I will keep a close eye on my phones stautus.

18. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

Nope, nothing disabled and it doesn't happen every time the battery is going completely dead but since I rarely ever take it that low I haven't worried about it.

19. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

Have had mine over a month and have not experienced this problem

20. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I also responded. It went into airplane mode once around two weeks ago. Wi-Fi was not on and it happened after removing it from the charger one afternoon when I got going for the day. I powered down and then back on and it was fine. I regularly use WI-Fi at home and work and no other occurences yet thankfully. Hope that helps Adrift!

21. Adrift

Bump....

There has got to be more folks out there.....

22. yfan

yfan Well-Known Member

I have not had the Airport Mode problem with my Moments - yes, that's a plural. I did have a GPS problem with my first moment in that it couldn't get a lock on my position. I took it into the store and they fixed it. And it worked fine for a couple of weeks, but then went right back to having the same problems again. So I took it in again yesterday, and after looking at it, they exchanged it for a new Moment. I have tried wifi on both phones, and I don't have the Airport mode bug on either.

23. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Of those who have used wi-fi and have/have not had the problem, I'd be curious how many of those were secure/unsecure networks.

24. Quicksand Jesus

Quicksand Jesus Member

The only time I've had my data not work properly is when I installed task killer the first time. I needed to add exclusions to not kill the critical processes that my phone needed to stay connected.

25. Rjohnjr

Rjohnjr Active Member

OK. I generally use wifi only at home on my own WPA2 protected network but have occasionally, but very rarely, briefly used an open network. To preserve battery, I generally keep wifi off unless I am actively using it, even at home. Ditto for GPS -- I turn it on only when, and so long as, it is needed. Ditto for bluetooth. After a bit more than a month of usage, I have not experienced it going into airplane mode.