• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Attepted Break Into AT&T Online Customer Accounts

Rico ANDROID

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2011
In Cell Phone SIMetery
USAToday reported that AT&T disclosed attempts were made to break into online customers wireless accounts. Hackers used programs to try and match wireless numbers to account credentials and steal information.

Looks like "less than 1%" of wireless customers were actually effected (contacted by hackers via email).
This 1% represent some 1 million customers. AT&T is sending out cautionary advisories today.

Were you one of the less that 1% of 100 millioin wireless customers receiving a follow-up notification today from AT&TWireless? Let AF know!

Click here for more info

First time poster here, I got the email from at&t saying my account was one that was affected by this unfortunate incident. they said my information was safe and not compromised. Guess I will be keeping a close eye on my bank account.

Thanks for sharing , Knuckle Head and welcome to Android Forums! Sorry that you were one of the victims. You are among the 1% out of 10 million+ customers.

What are the precationalry measures ATT implemented (if any ) and I hope they recommended you change your logon password and put an additional pass code on the account?

Upvote 0
They did not recommend any additional safety measures, can you explain the secondary passcode to me please? I am not aware of this option.

You have a password when first logging onto your online account. Then there is a second pass code you can set up so no one but you can account online OR via customer service call.

Call CSR and tell them you want to set a passcode. They will show you how to set it up. Its best to have this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones