Audible Manager

Last Updated:

1. cholzwarth

cholzwarth New Member This Topic's Starter

I subscribe to Audible. Is anyone working on an Audible Player for the android?

Advertisement
  2. bdal1

bdal1 Well-Known Member

audible says they are working on it but font hold your breath. their app development team is awful.
    I still cant believe they would release such a terrible blackberry app.
    I convert to mp3 with sound taxi and use astro player to listen. it has bookmarking ability

3. Patmos

Patmos Active Member

That's good to hear. I knew their site said they were working on it but your right the BB App sucks major. Thanks for the work around. :D

4. Benzo

Benzo Active Member

Audible.com says they're looking for beta testers for android app. Send an email to audiblewireless@audible.com if you want to test.

5. cholzwarth

cholzwarth New Member This Topic's Starter

6. Benzo

Benzo Active Member

Hmm.. if you go to their website and click on 'contact us' there's a link to send an email. that worked for me! sorry about the bad link:eek:

7. Hegemony

Hegemony Well-Known Member

According to Leo Laporte, Audible has told him that the app for Android will be out in the first half of 2010. Don't know if that's true, but he's said it several times.

8. kokiangel

kokiangel Well-Known Member

I gave up waiting on Audible too. I use Meridian Player Pro which has an audio book option. I just convert my books to m4a and they bookmark just fine. I am a bit spoiled now as I don't have to stick with just Audible books. Any audio book will play.:)

9. roylive

roylive Member

kokiangel - can you give me a source for the Meridian player pro you use for audible books - thanks Roy Live

10. kokiangel

I purchased meridian player pro from the dev site for a whopping $1.50. Really put a dent in my budget!:D
    According to their website, you should be able to tap menu from your phone now while in the app "meridian player noble" and upgrade to pro.

11. roylive

roylive Member

Kok1angel - Ok found that thanks for the info - now sorry to be such a pest - which program did you use to convert .AA audible files to M4A. I see a lot of them but would like to take advantage of your knowledge. Thanks for your help - Roylive

12. kokiangel

The software I used to convert .aa to m4a no longer offers it in the newer versions. Probably because of the DRM. I quit Audible two years ago so have not had a need for conversions in awhile. There is Soundtaxi though that says it will do it. It ain't cheap unfortunately. Good luck converting the .aa format to mp3. I did a quick browse of the internet just now and lots of folks have their own solution. Maybe one of them will work for you. Good luck.

13. jdeslip

jdeslip Member

Checkout the Emusic DRM free music store ( Music Downloads, MP3 Downloads, MP3 songs from eMusic.com ) that lets you buy audiobooks in ordinary mp3 files (which can then be played in any number or android media player apps). Emusic has a huge selection of books that is pretty competitive with Audibles. I hope DRM dies on audible soon, as well.

14. jmajor1111

jmajor1111 Member

I just sent off, not sure if they have one really but I'll reply back if they do. For now I recommend the Meridian pro player worth the whopping $1.50 and works rather well given the original purpose according to the author.

15. uzetaab

uzetaab Well-Known Member

I've not looked into this yet, but if you use their own software, couldn't you just burn a cd of the book then rip it as an mp3? Clunky I know, but it only has to be used until audible get around to releasing the player.

there are lots of links there for contacting them, which should I use for beta testing? the customer service one?

16. profmorris

profmorris New Member

To find the right link to request to be a beta tester:
    1) sign in to audible
    2) click "help" link
    3) Click on second link in common questions group:
    "Can I use my phone that runs off the Android operating system (e.g. Motorola DROID & HTC Hero) with Audible?"
    4) You'll see the link to send an email to the right folks with instructions.

OR...

just send an email to: audiblewireless@audible.com

with subject: Audible Android Application

body:
    [FONT=&quot]I am very interested in using a wireless Audible application on my Android phone. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please send me an email notification when one is available.[/FONT]

uzetaab likes this.
  17. JPWhite

JPWhite New Member

pbwhite likes this.
  18. kokiangel

Thanks. I just joined the Beta and tried to download some of my old books. Got stuck loading library but I will keep trying. It would be nice to have them again. And about time Audible realized there is a market with Android.

19. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yeah...I first saw Leo Laporte using it so I signed up. The app is very clean and works well!

20. Wisdom

Wisdom Well-Known Member

21. kokiangel

Had to uninstall as it refused to let me back into the app once I clicked to download my first book. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting the phone. Nothing worked. Bummer. I was really looking forward to hearing some of my books again. I have a ton of Audible books that I bought several years ago just "gathering dust".

22. cav719

cav719 New Member

You dont have to convert aa files to mp3 as some sites claim.

There is a beta app for audible books available on Android.

You have to "Allow installation of non-Market applications" on your Droid before download is complete or it wont install. You can disable it again after it has installed. (Menu-Settings-Applications-Check "Unknown sources")

Here is the direct download link direct for your Droid: http://bit.ly/adblb145

After you install the App it asks you to login just like the audible manager.

I recommend using wireless instead of 3G when you download books to your Droid. The files are much larger on Droid than on PC for some weird reason. I think it's a security thing. The huge file size is an issue Audible.com says they're working on during beta phase.

23. r0bd

r0bd New Member