"Audible Selection" Sound suddenly very quietSupport

Last Updated:

1. James Bell

James Bell Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It's that little "tick" sound you hear when you press an icon on the home page, or hit something on a menu, or click a link, etc. Mine is suddenly about 1/3 the volume it used to be. I checked the settings and I can turn it off in Sounds & Display...Audible Selection but I don't see any adjustment for the volume of it.

The only thing new in the past few days is that I got both the desk dock and car dock (the "quiet tick" problem is when it's not docked though).

Rebooted with no luck. Any ideas welcome.

Advertisement
  2. Stretch2m

Stretch2m Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where (if at all) you can access this setting in the Android OS. But - you can download "Quick Settings" (free, in the Market) and it has a "Volume Control" page where you can set the "System Volume" which is the audible selection.

3. James Bell

4. James Bell

Quick Settings looks nice but it does not fix it. It says "system volume" is at 7/7 and adjusting it did not change anything.

Very good idea though, thanks for the help.

5. club968

club968 Well-Known Member

I've noticed that the clicks when typing on the keyboard follow the media volume setting. Maybe try adjusting that to see if it helps with your issue as well.

david83, brandnewfunk and James Bell like this.
  6. James Bell

Setting the media volume seems to have fixed it, thanks!

But why on earth would they use that volume level for a system function?

7. brandnewfunk

brandnewfunk Member

Incredible owner here. Was having the same problem and found this thread -- very helpful, thanks!

Don't know if this applies to the Nexus One, but on my Incredible, it seems that the "Audible Selection" volume is governed by both the System Volume and Media Volume. (I'm modulating these volume settings using AudioManager from the market.)

The effects of the two volume settings appear to be additive, not redundant. If Media Volume is set to max, you can get even louder clicks by setting System Volume to max as well.

8. Teknologic

Teknologic Well-Known Member

That seems really odd.. maybe there's some complex mindset behind this but just maybe, this wasn't intentional. Maybe if you report it to google they'll fix it or at least provide some clarification.