• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio codec in videos

drmull

Jun 5, 2010
I don't bother to take videos with the Evo because of the embarrassing audio. It sounds so horrible I can't stand to listen! Anyway, I was looking at a developer's page that said you're free to use any codec supported by Android. However, the chart shows AMR narrow band as the only thing that will encode audio. It only works from 200-3400hz @8k bitrate. No wonder it sounds so bad!

Do you folks know who to contact about using another encoder for video, not the same crappy one it uses for voicemails (which sound equally horrible). Thanks for any help/suggestions. This is a glaring deficiency IMHO & not acceptable in a phone that takes "hi-def" (right) video. Thanks

Yeah, not helpful.

I think everyone who owns an EVO would like to know the answer to that question. I would image you can't replace the codec with the stock app, but I would think someone would be able to create their own app with a new codec. I would even pay a good price for something like that!

more specifically googlelabs.com

he gave a serious answer that no one really seems to get. android is google's lil project so they are who one would need to turn to.

Upvote 0
Yeah, not helpful.

I think everyone who owns an EVO would like to know the answer to that question.

I was being serious. Android is made by Google, therefore you contact Google if you have a problem that needs to be resolved. Technically you could contact HTC or Sprint, but you wont get anywhere with them. Google has their own forums for people with android bugs, take a look there and see if they have a solution.

Upvote 0
Then what's the purpose of this forum??

Yes, people could call Sprint, HTC or Google their brains out, but instead, people choose to come here to ask others for help. I've replied and tried to help numerous people just like others have helped me here. I didn't just turn around and reply "google" -- I addressed the question or issue -- which I believe is the purpose of this forum. Isn't it?

Upvote 0
Then what's the purpose of this forum??

Yes, people could call Sprint, HTC or Google their brains out, but instead, people choose to come here to ask others for help. I've replied and tried to help numerous people just like others have helped me here. I didn't just turn around and reply "google" -- I addressed the question or issue -- which I believe is the purpose of this forum. Isn't it?

again I'll say the answers aren't always what we want to hear...but the absolute best source for this answer IS google labs forums.... there are a ton of hacks and tricks over there.

second i'll add xda....and third pc geeks

just because an answer isn't what you would have given or is one that you don't agree with...doesn't make it a wrong answer

Upvote 0
No, it doesn't make it a wrong answer. I didn't even have an answer this time, just a comment.

It just bugs me when I only see "google" as a reply and it's not uncommon. That tells me that person doesn't want to help and is basically telling the OP to go look it up for themselves.

Instead, if someone explains why it's best to look at Google's site -- and especially adds a specific page or two to look at -- then that, to me, reads as helpful as sitlet did after his/her last reply.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones