"audio file type won't play", video/camera errors and a possible solution from ROOTING

Last Updated:

1. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I noticed over on the Motorola Forums that a user spoke with their support desk and was recommended the following:

"Try this: go to <Settings-About Phone-System Updates>. The firmware will check for updates. You should get a 'your device is up to date! No update is necessary at this time' and click on OK. Restart the native media player or any third party app to open video or music files."

I would have been eager to try this option as opposed to the only other prior 'solution' of rebooting the phone if I could recreate the music player audio file problem. Unfortunately (well, fortunately, that is), I haven't been able to recreate the problem (which usually just involved playing music, pausing, music, using my phone, coming back to the music player sometime later and then getting the error message). There are two reasons why this might be the case:

First, I rooted my Droid X over the weekend. It took me a little bit of time, and more than a few recommendations that didn't work, but I finally found a tool that got the job done easily and properly. Afterwards, I very carefully went through this list and renamed a bunch of the motorola widgets and apps that I never use from .apk to .bak using Root Explorer. I was very careful to also read threads to make sure that the APKs that I was 'deactivating' didn't cause problems down the road. But, when all was said and done, I removed quite a lot of bloatware. I can tell you right off the bat that the Droid X restarts a heck of a lot faster, runs more smoothly AND AMAZINGLY I have not had the audio/video bug issue again....yet (fingers crossed but it's been two days and it used to be every couple hours). I'll keep monitoring the situation, but so far so good.

Second, I also read a comment/review online about Doubletwist whereby the user said that he has not loaded the Moto bloatware Music player and instead has been using Doubletwist exclusively and has not recreated this error either. Perhaps the issue is with the Motorola stock Music app. Consequently, I downloaded a new music player called PlayerPro and Doubletwist and have been using them exclusively as the reviewer mentioned. Perhaps this has been the reason for my recent bug-free music enjoyment. Don't know if that was the reason why or not, but the new player is fantastic. While I was at it, I decided to go ahead and use Root Explorer to deactivate the stock Music player also since I'm no longer using it.

I'll report back if my recent success continues. Maybe it's as simple as the new music player being buggy. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement