• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio from galaxy to hifi??

Hello guys, I've just recently bought the Onkyo CS 555dab and tried connecting my galaxy s3 via text usb port to play music. But it doesn't even connect so I'm thinking the usb on the Onkyo isn't meant for Android and only ipod and flash drives. But I was looking at this device which I think would work but want to be sure before I buy it. My Onkyo has got optical and coaxial inputs at 24bit so I was thinking of usb to optical. I can't post links just yet but it's called USB Sound Box from maplins website.

I'd just use the usb from the galaxy to the usb sound box then optical lead from that to the hifi. Would this produce audio??

Also I used the 3.5mm jack to RCA and the sound is terribly low n no bass at all. I read bout EU regulations and them lowering the out it via headphone jacks.
Hope someone knows. Thank you.

It's probably because AFAIK the S3 doesn't support USB mass storage mode, only MTP*. USB devices like the Onkyo can't mount MTP only devices, as MTP doesn't allow direct access to the device's file system. In fact MTP devices will only mount on a PC or Mac. Android devices that do support USB mass storage mode, should work OK with the Onkyo.

* Media Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You could try this, but it does involve rooting and some hacking...
HOW TO Enable USB Mass Storage Mode in Samsung Galaxy S3

Upvote 0
So is my best bet to get a bluetooth dongle? I'm just not sure what the sound is like through them. I'd be getting one with aptx but still don't know. Also do you know if the onkyo utb-1 bluetooth dongle works with my system. It states it works from the one up from mine which is a network receiver but surely its the bluetooth dongle that's transmitting the sound n not the actual hifi. Thanks for replying

Upvote 0
So is my best bet to get a bluetooth dongle? I'm just not sure what the sound is like through them. I'd be getting one with aptx but still don't know. Also do you know if the onkyo utb-1 bluetooth dongle works with my system. It states it works from the one up from mine which is a network receiver but surely its the bluetooth dongle that's transmitting the sound n not the actual hifi. Thanks for replying

Sorry for the necro, but if you're still looking at this, I'd try the headphone jack first, since it's a ~$5 cable instead of an expensive part. If your receiver has a 3.5 mm input jack, you just need a 3.5 mm male to male cable (the kind you use to hook a phone or mp3 player into the aux in jack in a car stereo.) If it doesn't, you'll need a 3.5 to RCA cable, which has the plug for your headphone jack on one end, and the red and white stereo cables for your receiver on the other end.

Edit: Derp, misread the OP. Just to make sure, did you have the volume on your phone all the way up when you had it connected by the cable? Digital volume controls do weird things to sound quality, especially if the DAC isn't all that hot. Standard practice is to turn your phone's volume all the way up, and adjust the playback volume at the stereo. You can look into the Bluetooth dongle, but if it's only listed for the next model up, I doubt it will work with your receiver. Stuff like that usually connects through a proprietary jack, and if your model doesn't have that jack, or doesn't have the firmware to interact with the dongle when connected to it, it won't work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones