Audio Out Hissing in CarSupport

Last Updated:

1. runin2k1

runin2k1 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm hoping someone here with some AV knowledge can give me something to try. When I've got my Incredible hooked up to my car stereo via the 3.5mm jack, and have the car charger plugged in, there is a noticable but intermittent high pitched hiss that comes out of the speakers. If I unplug the car charger it goes away immediately.

I've tried with the volume on the Incredible set at quiet/medium/loud levels and that doesn't seem to make any difference. My guess is that there is resonance from the power cable being picked up by the audio cable, but I've tried moving them around and it doesn't seem to help.

Advertisement
  2. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

Does the hissing increase when you press the accelerator? If so, and its an aftermarket HU, try regrounding the HU to make a cleaner contact (i.e. scrape away any paint, rust,dirt).

runin2k1 likes this.
  3. runin2k1

I haven't noticed if that is the case, but I'll definitely check that out as a potential solution. Thanks!

4. mandasol

mandasol Well-Known Member

I've noticed the hissing through my car speakers when the battery reaches a full charge and the phone is plugged into the charger. Then I just unplug the power and it goes away. It doesn't happen when the battery is still charging.

5. ORRY?

ORRY? Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the phone's way of saying it's recharged? :shrug:

6. runin2k1

It definitely happens when charging. On a long drive it gets old quick so I'll unplug the phone and run it down for an hour, and as soon as I plug it back in it will start the hiss again.

7. upther

upther Well-Known Member

It's a grounding issue somewhere in your car. I only get it in my car when I have two items plugged into the power sockets.

runin2k1 likes this.
  8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

I experienced this exactly as stated above: The battery reaches a full charge and then the hissing starts. I just turned down the volume to ~50% and turned my speakers up and it went away.