• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio Quality on the Nexus 4 for Music

JunBringer

Android Expert
May 25, 2010
www.last.fm
I use my smartphone for all of my mobile music listening needs, which is quite a bit. Anytime I drive anywhere, go for a walk, get groceries, go the the gym etc I use my smartphone to listen to music. I've had a Htc Evo 4G, Htc Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy Note LTE and now the Nexus 4 and the audio quality and volume on the Nexus 4 is easily the worst one. I love the phone in general but I can't seem to get the audio to sound good. I use the headphone jack and plug right into my Scion xB which has a decent Pioneer system built in and even with PowerAmp it sounds mediocre. With my earbuds it sounds better, but still not nearly as good as the Note.

I had already planned to get a Note 2 before the Nexus 4 was announced and I may end up doing that and use two devices, meaning the Note 2 will be just a wifi device and I'll use it for music. I'm hoping they put out a 64GB version internationally so I can snag one.

Either way, does anyone else feel this way about the audio quality?

Thanks for the heads up, I was contemplating that actually. I haven't read about anyone using it on the Nexus 4 yet, so maybe I'll be one of the first.

Let me know if you get it working. Hopefully it's as simple as installing the apk, but I'm no ROM developer. I know Beats Audio is on the software side though. There's nothing special in the hardware of HTC phones to get it to work.

Upvote 0
I actually like the audio quality on mine, although I don't have much in the form of other phones to compare it to. I also use poweramp. I also don't use it to output music to an external speaker, just with my headphones. I've been wondering if GSMarena is going to put out a review on the N4 though, since they usually do RMAA tests on phones to measure the audio quality of phones. I might just not have very high standards for audio quality lol.

Upvote 0
Let me know if you get it working. Hopefully it's as simple as installing the apk, but I'm no ROM developer. I know Beats Audio is on the software side though. There's nothing special in the hardware of HTC phones to get it to work.

I think you have to flash it, otherwise I'd have installed the apk already.

I actually like the audio quality on mine, although I don't have much in the form of other phones to compare it to. I also use poweramp. I also don't use it to output music to an external speaker, just with my headphones. I've been wondering if GSMarena is going to put out a review on the N4 though, since they usually do RMAA tests on phones to measure the audio quality of phones. I might just not have very high standards for audio quality lol.

With poweramp it does sound pretty good in headphones, but it's not quite there for my car speakers. I still need to tweak a bit though.

Upvote 0
Okay I flashed a zip for Awesome Beats V3 in CWM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1728391

The app is now installed on my phone, I went into Settings > Sound > Music Effects > Awesome beats and set it as default. I enabled Awesome Beats through the app and I went to play music on Poweramp, but I can't tell a difference when I switch it on and off. I could definitely tell a difference on my Evo 3D, which leads me to believe Awesome beats isn't being used correctly. Any advice?

Upvote 0
Does it make the music any louder? I really have to crank up my stereo on my car on the Nexus 4.

I also noticed for a fraction of a second once I hit play that it is louder and then it goes back to being kind of quiet, as if whatever they have on the device to make it quiet takes time to start up.

I haven't had any problems with low sound. In fact I forgot I turned bass up and when I plugged it into my car the subs started shaking all the mirrors. I'm like oops, better turn that down a bit ha.

Upvote 0
I've been using Poweramp and after fine tuning the EQ it's more than satisfactory for my needs. I gave up on the Beats audio hacks.

Yeah I used Poweramp on my previous 3 phones but I don't have enough storage on the Nexus to do that very often. I only have the 8GB so there's only room for like 2 or 3GB of music after everything else.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones