Audio quality when taking video... Here's why it sucks

Last Updated:

1. Hi Ho

Hi Ho Active Member This Topic's Starter

Frankly, I'm fine with the video quality. It could be a lot better but I don't use my phone for anything serious. The audio quality is horrid. I pulled a video into MediaCoder to find out why...

[​IMG]

That is 12.8kbps at 8,000hz sampling rate.

To put this in perspective; A low quality MP3 is 64kbps at 44.1khz (44,100hz). That is 5 times the bit rate and more than 5 times the sampling rate.

A decent quality MP3 is at the very least 128kbps.

The audio that the Evo camcorder app is 1/5th the quality of a crappy MP3.

This is a rather simple software fix. I'm not a programmer but I know how audio and video codecs work and I see no reason for this limitation. The phone can record excellent quality audio. Just download a recording app and try it.

HTC or a third party developer needs to get on this.

Oh yeah, the reason the video is a bit jerky is that it is recorded at 10.01 FPS...

Advertisement
  2. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

interesting.

the hits just keep coming with how gimped the device is. still the best phone I have ever had and I'll be keeping it, because I'm confident in xda to optimize it if HTC wont

3. Raadius

Raadius Well-Known Member

Yeah, we knew this already, its just a matter of time for a developer to take the kernel and mess with it.

4. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

Good thing I didn't buy this phone as a handycam replacement.

5. greenenvy070

greenenvy070 Member

I'll bet that audio setting is either to save space, or help in writing the file to slower SD cards. It's the only downside to the SD card interface... it's kinda buggy when quickly accessing or writing large files.

6. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

Well the kernel is already released, the guys over at XDA I'm sure are already working on optimizing things.

HTC - Developer Center

Have fun lol :D

7. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

I noticed this too after laughing then crying after hearing the audio quality of recordings. This certainly is a software fix, so hopefully something better will come of the mic at some point.

No, not everyone knew the numbers. Thanks for the reply though.

The mic recording sucks. Nobody expected a handycam replacement from this phone. There's no reason the audio should be this bad. Period.