Audio stream routing?Support

Last Updated:

1. korey99

korey99 New Member This Topic's Starter

I've been messing around with Tasker for the last several days, and it's raised a concern I've had with android itself. Is there a definitive answer to how audio is routed?

I see that there are at least 6 audio stream types: call, system, ringer, media, alarm, notification. I also see (using Smart Volume or Quick Settings, etc.) that there are corresponding audio volume controls for each of the above.

My question is, which speaker do each of the audio streams get routed to? Obviously, there are different setups for when the headphones are plugged in and not.

Here's what I see empirically so far:

When the physical headphones are unplugged, the system, ringer, media, alarm and notification streams get routed to the external speaker. The call stream is routed to the earpiece.

When the headphones are plugged in, the alarm and notification streams seem to be routed to the external speaker (speakerphone, I guess). The call, system and media streams get routed to the headphones. The ringer stream has been behaving oddly. Sometimes it comes through the headphones, and sometimes through the ext. speaker.

Does anybody have any real answers? For the record, I'm using a Droid Incredible on 2.2.

Thanks,
    Korey

Advertisement
  2. putch

putch Member

3. Redangel7

Redangel7 New Member

I have been struggling with the audio stream issue and have found an alarm app with a control setting for media stream and audio to the speakers for the alarm sound. The is named gentle Alarm and I have been testing it and the alarm audio will not go through the speakers is the setting for media stream is unchecked. Hope this helps.