• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Audio surveillance

PeterBNZ

Lurker
Jul 26, 2016
What I would like to achieve is audio surveillance from a dedicated android phone, that syncs the files to my Google account automatically. The phone will be plugged in, no SIM card, just recording audio (and maybe video). The files need to be identifiable by time and small enough to upload frequently over public Wi-Fi. Video or occasional still images would be nice but not essential.

I have tried the following:
Alfred
Trackview
Wardencam
ASR
VoiceX
Voice recorder
Surveillance

However, none of them can achieve what I’m after. The closest is ASR, which can record files and sync them to my Google drive account, and provide a time code, however, there is no way to automate it. It can record continuously, however I have to manually stop it to allow it to upload, and because I’m using public Wi-Fi, which is a bit slow, and I am only available to stop the files once a day, they end up too large and cumbersome to transfer via Wi-Fi. If I could get it to automatically stop after an hour and restart that would work, but that function is not available as far as I can tell (but I have emailed the developer). It does have the ability to record voice activated, however, that removes the time code, as it just keeps recording but removes the silence. Therefore, I end up with a large file I have to manually stop and I have no idea when the audio within was recorded.

Any suggestions

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones