Audio through USB

1. sherfield2002

sherfield2002 Member

Is it possible to play audio through the USB? My car stereo has both a USB and aux input, but I'd rather use the USB since it should keep the phone charged as well. I'd also like to do the same on my computer.If anyone know how to do this please let me know.

Advertisement
  2. karlschmidt

karlschmidt Member

I have a 2009 Honda Fit with iPod and USB compatability, and I have used the USB to listen to music, controlling the selection and playback with the head unit in the dash.

The thing you need to check is to see if your USB works with a thumbdrive. If it does, then you should be able to connect to the USB, and mount the Hero using the Hero's notification screen (like you do when connecting to a PC).

Once you do that, the head unit should recognize your SD card just like a thumbdrive.

If you want to use your Hero to stream music to your stereo (i.e. Pandora), I believe the best option is to use a stereo jack from the headphone port on the Hero to your head unit.

Good luck!
  3. sherfield2002

sherfield2002 Member

yeah i guess i should have clarified. I want to stream music (Pandora, etc.). So will I be able to do this?
  4. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member

I feel pretty confident in saying no, you cannot. You can listen to music off your memory in the Hero, but not stream it through applications such as Pandora. For that you need to use the AUX.
  5. sherfield2002

sherfield2002 Member

Thanksfor the help. Guess I'll just use the aux input.
  6. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

The USB port on the Hero does support audio out and I find that the sound quality is much better than using the headphone jack.

It will be your car radio USB-in port that most likely will not receive the audio signal however. It is worth trying though.

I use these two items in the car to both listen to music (local mp3 files or streamed audio from Pandora) and charge the phone at the same time using only the USB port.

Charger
    Cellet Retractable Mini- USB Car Charger

3-in-1 splitter
    HTC Sprint Hero 3-in-1 adapter

You'll also need a small male-male audio cable to run from the splitter to the aux port.
  7. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

here's a thought, the HTC proprietary USB jacks do support audio out, so if you can get your hands on one of those, MAYBE that will work? i have no way to verify this though and it is just a guess but it is plausible, your head unit would need to support USB audio IN as well, when you plug in a flashdrive to USB it just searches the files, that is NOT audio IN, so it's a far strech but it is possible to some extent i guess
  8. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

why dont u just use the aux to listen to pandora and charge ur phone thru the mini-usb at the same time since u said ur radio has both usb and aux? this is what i do everyday.
  9. sherfield2002

sherfield2002 Member

This is probably what I'll do, but I just wanted to see if it was possible with only 1 cord.
  10. SilHero

SilHero Well-Known Member

also, through the aux jack has given me the best sounds quality, but i have not tried to listen thru the USB via mount usb.

another good sound quality is the good ol tape deck that we used to use for our "walkmans" back in the day.
  11. dvdqnoc

dvdqnoc Well-Known Member

while using aux for audio, have the phone connected to a car charger as well. charge + music!