Audiogalaxy: Not bad, but could be great.

1. KieranD

KieranD Member

[​IMG]

Device Tested: HTC Hero
    ROM Version: Standard 1.5
    Price: FREE

Audiogalaxy has had something of a rocky past. Legal issues, file sharing and general (yet unintended) naughtiness surround the 12 year old invention, so it's surprising that the thing is still alive. It's certainly a good thing that it did stick around, though, as in it's current form (having ditched Peer 2 Peer in 2002) Audiogalaxy is a fantastic app. In principle.

[​IMG]
    Yep, that's the idea.

Audiogalaxy is designed to allow instant streaming on any Android handset for any music on a computer with the Audiogalaxy client enabled. First issue. It may be obvious, because while you may stream from anywhere, your computer must have the client enabled. Second issue. The application will only allow streaming of MP3 files at time of writing, requiring possibly-lengthy file conversions. Third problem. The audio player is very, very basic. There's pause, next track, previous track and a timeline bar. That's all. Nothing fancy whatsoever. Disappointing, but understandable for a new application. Fourth problem. Streaming is anything but instant, often taking half a minute to clock onto what you had pressed. On my HTC Hero using a HSDPA connection, this was very much the case.

Having been fiddling with the spectacularly good idea that is Audiogalaxy, I can't help but feel a little disappointed. The application does what it does well; that is, basic streaming of MP3 files. But it could be more, so much more. Opening up to other file types, not requiring your computer to be turned on, etc. etc.

For free, Audiogalaxy is utterly worth an install. The file size is only 258KB and updates are coming regularly. Here's hoping something comes along, improves the service and makes it another essential app.

7/10

-Pros:
    Great idea
    Works well for MP3s

-Cons:
    Lag on starting
    Requires enabled client
    Limited to MP3 formats
    Basic player

UPDATE:
    Following a lovely 1.1 update from the Audiogalaxy team, the lag basically is gone and the player works a treat, offering a couple more options than I remember being there before. Organisation needs working on for albums and track ordering, and it occasionally randomly flips back to a previous screen (not interrupting audio), but overall it's just about pushing this app into the 8/10 area.

Advertisement
  2. jasonwf

jasonwf Member

My main problem is it only finds about half of my mp3s on my computer. They are all tagged as well.
  3. dmead

dmead New Member

i am currently using this app i a absolutely love it. I am on version 1.9.1 and it allows me to play 95% of the .flac files i have. so it isn't limited to mp3 anymore. I wish it would default to the player after you choose an album/artist/song, but that isn't an issue so much a wish of mine.
  4. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

5. slymer

slymer New Member

Just got this app, and I have to say I love it. Having my entire music library at my fingertips is awesome. The streaming is pretty much instantaneous. So maybe the lag-time that the reviewer discussed has been fixed with a recent update. I highly recommend this app.
  6. DriveAliveApp

DriveAliveApp Active Member

This is the greatest app ever. My music is mostly in .flac format and it streams/plays it over 3g flawlessly.. and i'm really busy developing my own app.. and I was able to set it up in seconds... so awesome.. I suck with words so it's hard for me to describe how much I appreciate how awesome this app is.
  7. webvan

webvan Active Member

Yep, just found out about it, I knew that name was familiar...a rebirth, eh ! My only concern is what they do with the info on your music library they have access to (app calls home each time a song is played...).

Also it would be nice to be able to browse a good old folder structure !
  8. Adauth

Adauth Well-Known Member

Any different from AirSync?