AudioOut_2 wakelock - Battery DrainSupport

1. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether to label it as a "Tip" or a "Support" thread, since it might be useful information to you, although I'm seeking advice as well.

I recently got very bad battery life, with a drain of about 5%/h. In fact, just by letting the phone alone for about 2 hours, without doing anything, it would go down to about 89%. After hours of investigating, I found out that a certain audioOut_2 was causing the issue, by waking the phone very frequently. Not only that, the phone was barely deep sleeping, as I found out by setting a custom reference point on Better Battery Stats. Since the audioOut_2 should be related to sounds, etc. I initially thought it was caused by the Android System or a Music Player, well, those weren't causing any issues.

After freezing apps one by one to try figure out the culprit, I surprisingly found it being Viber. I immediately froze it and set a custom reference on BBS from that point on. Yes, it really was the culprit, audioOut_2 wasn't waking the device so many times anymore, and battery life improved drastically.

I later enabled Viber back, and the issue, as expected, was back, so I had to remove it.
    Just to make sure it wasn't only affecting my phone, I installed Viber on a Sony Xperia T and a Note II, both of them were suffering the same issues as my S3, so it definitely does have some sort of bugs.

Now, I contacted Viber and forwarded the issue to them, although I got a pretty "useless" reply, something I knew myself anyway:

What they said has nothing to do with the issue. Viber isn't directly draining the battery, it's causing the phone to consume too much power by keeping it awake for too long.

Now, my question: is removing the app my only choice or can I do something else to prevent the wakelocks?

TL;DR

If you have battery drain issues and use Viber, remove it and see if it's getting better, because it definitely is the culprit.

Advertisement
    saltz, funkylogik and Mikestony like this.
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

If you have found that Viber is causing the wakelock, then either uninstall or freeze the app.
    Or you can clear cache and data from the app in the "manage applications" and see if that helps.
    I changed your prefix to "tips" because I think more folks can benefit from your procedure to narrow down the offensive app:)
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Yeah its definately a tip mate thanks.
    Nice excuse for me to uninstall the app lol. My wife insists on using it for messages even though we have unlimited text :confused:
    Im just gona uninstall it without even testing and tell the Mrs it destroys her battery :)

As for the question... maybe a Tasker programme to force close the app at set intervals? Or (cringe) a task killer set to only kill Viber?
  4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

LMAO:D
  5. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

Task Killers for Android and why you should not use them! | My Android Experience
  6. funkylogik

Lol think u hilighted the wrong bit bro ;)
  7. sherlock5545

Thanks for the inputs, I decided to remove Viber for now, it's not like I use it that much, I installed it just to send messages to some friends abroad, I'll find an alternative.
  8. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

Oppps.
  9. CDPlant

CDPlant Guides Guide

Some of the Viber team are members on here, I'll send a PM and see if they can have a look at this thread and they may be able to help :)
    funkylogik likes this.
  10. beastobadness

beastobadness Member

I found out that the audioout_2 wakelock was caused by my tts. I know it was a bit extreme but once I froze Samsung, Google and ivona tts with TB my problem went from 30 mins of wakelock to a few seconds!

But I still believe it is an app interfering with the tts causing it to lock up. Seems a shame cos I liked ivona Amy (she had a sexy voice :p)
    funkylogik likes this.
  11. funkylogik

I liked the Welsh girl :)
  12. sn2hotty

sn2hotty New Member

If you are rooted, try the Greenify app on the Market. It "hibernates" rouge apps like this to prevent them from running/waking in the background. I use it to "Greenify" Facebook. It has helped. Check it out.
  13. sherlock5545

Using Greenify on an app like Viber "cuts" 70% of it's functionality, as it would completely hibernate background processes, including "real-time" notifications of incoming messages, etc.
  14. sn2hotty

sn2hotty New Member

Yes, I suppose in that case, that would be true. Oh well. It certainly keeps Facebook from misbehaving, if you don't care about push notifications! LOL
  15. dkl1

dkl1 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm having the same issue, HORRENDOUS battery drain. 26% Battery loss in only 1H 17m. :mad:

I do not have Viber and am desperately trying to find out what's causing it. Any other apps suggestions? Thanks for any replies
  16. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

Get better battery stats, it shows you what wake locks are causing the problem
  17. dkl1

dkl1 Well-Known Member

I actually have it and it's lately been showing the aforementioned AudioOut_2 and sometimes "1013" is displayed with it and sometimes by itself...:confused:
  18. Shyuan

Shyuan New Member

Me too. Mine shows AudioOut_2 with 1013. I have an app called LINE which actually causes wakelocks and thus waste my battery. I was thinking if it's the cause of AudioOut_2 too.
  19. sherlock5545

If you're rooted and can't do without the culprit apps, use Greenify to hibernate them.