1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Audubon Birds - A Field Guide

Last Updated:

1. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. cfh09

cfh09 Well-Known Member

I've been waiting since Day 1 (April 19) for this to come out for Android. Anyone else have this? Just wondered what you thought about it.

3. nicracine

nicracine Well-Known Member

I bought it, and I have mixed feelings about it.

I got many FCs, the program offers to sync all the data into your phone instead of searching online. I did that, and the download took over 2 1/2 hours! And that was on my Wi-Fi network. Moreover, the program takes around 1 minute to start.

On the plus side, the pictures are great, the sound files are crystal clear, and it is a huge resource on birds in your pocket.

BTW, I am running CM 5.0.8 on my HTC Magic, so the app may be too much for my phone; i don't know.

20$ is a lot, but I bought it because of the Audubon brand. I knew I was getting a quality product. That's exactly what it is. However, the Android interface still needs work.

4. RLJSlick

RLJSlick Member

The real problem is it has only 750 birds included, while the iPhone one come with over "Information on 5,548 North American species".I think I will be waiting for this to....mature a bit more.

5. nicracine

Where did you see this? I went back to the app's official page, and the description is the same for iPhone and Android, 750 species.

Honestly, with the time it took to synchronize that many birds, I am not sure I would buy the app if it had 8 times more birds. The sync would take more than a day, and it would probably need one hell of a memory card to store all the images and sound files.

Finally, from Birding.com:
    So I think your figure may not be exact.

6. jriegel

jriegel Member

Both the Audubon Birds apps on Android & iPhone have around 750 species. We only have Audubon Birds currently available in the Android Market, but we are working to get the others. RLJslick you may have been looking at the Combo guide which has Birds, Mammals, Trees & Wildflowers.

-Justine Community Manager @ GMD

7. nicracine

Looking forward to your other guides on Android. Especially trees and insects. They are very useful for the amateur nature photographer.

jriegel likes this.
  8. jriegel

jriegel Member

We know there is a problem with FC's and we are working on an update to fix this. Thanks for the feedback!

-Justine Community Manager @ GMD

9. jriegel

jriegel Member

Audubon Mammals includes 283 species, 40 mammals sounds, stunning color photographs & range maps for most species.

Audubon Butterflies includes 653 species, thousands of color photographs & a detailed reference section which includes natural history.

Audubon Birds now updated with a total of 755 species, 128 wintering range maps, & new search characteristics:
    -Wing Shape
    -Song & Call Type
    -Song & Call Pattern
    -Locomotion
    -Likelihood by State or Province & Month
    -Scientific Name Search

10. nicracine

I'll be buying them as soon as my budget allows it.

jriegel likes this.
  11. jriegel

jriegel Member

New Android Apps now available on Android Market

Audubon Trees A Field Guide to North American Trees

- Over 900 North American species with beautiful color photographs, range maps and more...

Audubon Wildflowers A Field Guide to North American Wildflowers

- Over 1,800 North American Species with 3,000+ spectacular color photographs, range maps and more...

Android Platform Updates
    We are continually updating our Android platform to serve your needs:
    - Interface enhancements make navigation and exploring the applications a snap.
    - Fixed a number of issues related to stability that may have caused the application to Force Close.

To grab the latest update for your Android app, visit the Android Market today.

www.AudubonGuides.com/Android

To report any Android issues, please send an email to feedback@greenmtd.com.

Justine @ GMD

12. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Old thread but I just bought this, it's reduced to 9.99 and seems really nice so far. Just a heads up for any bird watchers who thought 14.99 was a tad pricey :)