• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Augmented Reality (AR) Game Development

LocationManager vs LocationServices. Which is better and why?

• LocationManager

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LocationServices

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello,

I recently just started on developing an Augmented Reality (AR) game and was wondering if I can get some insight on how to get started/move forward. The game will most likely be an RPG type so the initial plan is to spawn X amount of monsters around the user's current location and initial battle once they tap on the monster. Upon tapping the monster, a small detail menu would pop up giving the user an option of commencing battle or walking away. I've been playing around with the Google Maps V2 API and getting use to the location tracking and other features the API offers. I tried using the map's markers and marker info box to display the monsters and monster details, respectively. Unfortunately the marker info box isn't user interactive so that didn't now. Now I'm thinking about drawing on a separate view rather than directly using the map and stacking that view on top of the map.

With that brief summary, my questions are as follows:

1) Is my current approach a logical one? One thing that concerns me is if the view that's already drawn will stay the same as the user zooms in and out of the map. Is it possible to change the view based on the zoom level?

2) Are there any free game engines that could be utilized to make the coding a bit easier?

3) LocationManager vs LocationServices. What's your intake on which one is better to use?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones