• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

auto brightness by location?

Is tasker a battery hog? If so, it defeats my purpose of leaving auto brightness off while inside. I basically want to manually lower the lighting while inside, without disabling auto brightness, so that when I walk outside I don't have a black screen, unable to see anything. I'm rooted. Is there a way to dim the light, while still maintining auto?

Upvote 0
This Tasker profile will turn auto brightness off when I am connected to either of my WiFi networks and on when I am not ...

Profile: AB
State: Wifi Connected [ SSID:TLANET-2.4GHz//TLANET-5GHz MAC:* IP:* ]
Enter: Anon
A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:Off ]
Exit: Anon
A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:On ]

... you need to substitute the SSID(s) for your network(s). (The "/" is an "or".)

... Thom

Upvote 0
This Tasker profile will turn auto brightness off when I am connected to either of my WiFi networks and on when I am not ...

Profile: AB
State: Wifi Connected [ SSID:TLANET-2.4GHz//TLANET-5GHz MAC:* IP:* ]
Enter: Anon
A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:Off ]
Exit: Anon
A1: Auto Brightness [ Set:On ]

... you need to substitute the SSID(s) for your network(s). (The "/" is an "or".)

... Thom

Wow thanks! I will try that. Never used tasker, and here it's awesome. It's time to get on it.

I also found this little app called auto brightness switch. Put the icon smack dab in the middle of my screen so when I walk outside and forget to enable auto brightness, and can't see me screen, I know where to tap.
The app switch is working good so far. Going to try tasker too, your automated method sounds better. How is tasker on ram and battery usage?

Upvote 0
I agree, generally minor.

Battery usage depends of course in what you do with it. It is certainly possible to create profiles that will be battery hogs, but Tom's should be fine. I probably have 30-40 profiles enabled, and tasker is currently showing as 2% of my battery usage.

Tasker does load a running service, whose size varies. On average I think mine was 20Mb when I first installed tasker and now seems to be about double that. But for me this one app (tasker) takes the place of MANY apps that be required to do the same things.

Reactions: Thom
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones