Auto brightness- yes or no??Tips

Last Updated:

1. methodtical15

methodtical15 Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys just wondering for those that leave their evos on auto brightness how much does it affect battery life, I set mine at 20% but whenever I'm in bright sunlight I can't see a thing! I was thinking of setting it to auto but am worried about battery drainage.
    Thanks guys

Advertisement
  2. ScorpDX

ScorpDX Well-Known Member

It will certainly drain the battery. I use the power widget. It toggles between 10/40/100%'s quickly and easily with a single touch. I tried the auto-brightness and to me it's really slow to react and sometimes it's a bit to bright for me when I sit in a dark corner of a place to read or something.

3. Meltz014

Meltz014 Well-Known Member

Yup. When auto brightness is on, your phone is powering one more sensor and therefore draining a bit more of the battery.

4. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Auto brightness all the way. I used to keep a brightness toggle widget on my home screen, but I found myself forgetting to toggle it most of the time and left it at 60% for most of the time, but it would be too bright in the dark, and too dark in the light.

I would toggle when I needed to, and then forget about it later when I entered a different situation (go from light to dark and the thing is blinding, or dark to light and I couldn't see anything, let alone where the toggle Icon was!).

So now I just use auto. The convenience, combined with the freed up homescreen real-estate, is a much better tradeoff IMO. My phone only drains at about 2% per hour with mild-med use, so I'm not really caring about the additional drain.

5. xtravbx

xtravbx Well-Known Member

For me when I use auto brightness, I can see it CONSTANTLY fluctuating, as if the sensor does not work right...

6. sleky

sleky Active Member

Personally. I find the auto brightness feature to not work as much as I'd like. For example, if I'm on the train watching a movie, I have to hold my phone, and to get comfy, I "wrap" my hand around the phone, which makes the screen go darker, even though I didn't want it to. As far as the battery, I can't speculate as I haven't had the phone a week yet. (*cheezin*)

I also use the standard HTC toggle buttons, and there seems to be a nice one missing for the brightness. In steps hyperlink. LINK HTH's... =D

7. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member

I always use Auto Brightness and "Display" usually shows about 8% battery usage. Not sure if that's good or bad though.

8. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member

Does it happen when your hands are around the sensor toward the top of the screen? It may happen if you're holding it in landscape mode and your left hand moves over the sensor a lot.

9. zackman2091

zackman2091 Well-Known Member

I think that it is great i have class for most of the days and i do alot of walkin inside and out and in most of my classes it is darker and dont need it to be as bright but then i walk out side and its sunny and i cant see a thing so it works great also i havent seen any battery different for my phone although i am running Setting Profile which changes all my setting per hour depending on if i have class or not

10. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

I used auto brightness and it works well. I doubt it drains the battery very much if at all.

11. overclock

overclock Well-Known Member

I don't care about the battery as I simply hate the auto brightness. The screen brightness fluctuates too much when I am actually using the phone. If my hand occludes the sensor it goes darker. I find it to be a general waste.

12. Andrewdroid

Andrewdroid Well-Known Member

I don't like auto brightness because there is no user input or preferences in the way it works.

Personally I'd like to say, "hey auto brightness, you're only allowed to get this bright". I think that's how the iPhone works but I just heard that through the grapevine so I don't know. But people should be able to limit the maximum and also the minimum as per their preferences. 100% is almost never needed for me, and I am quite comfortable with the lowest possible setting at most times indoor and definitely at night. (I think it's 11% not sure). If I'm comfortable with the lowest, it's just a waste of battery to have my phone any higher.

I'll use the quick brightness changer way on the top slider instead of auto-brightness.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

I keep my brightness at 60-100% ...just my preference