Auto brigtness never gets you to the maxGeneral

1. sam007

sam007 Well-Known Member

simple question, even under noon brightest sunlight, auto setting never gets you to the brightest screen. Why? As soon as you turn off auto and max it out, you can at least see something on the screen

thx

Advertisement
    :
  2. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Because auto sucks.
  3. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

I bought Lux.
  4. j c m

j c m Member

+1 for Lux. It beats the default auto brightness by leaps and bounds. Lux let's you "link" brightness levels to ambient light levels the way you want it to be. i.e., it learns based on what you teach it.
  5. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

New version of Lux requires permissions to ENTIRE phone. Pass.
  6. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

7. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Your actually wrong, auto reaches higher brightness in sunlight than you can achieve manually, it's been tested and confirmed.

It's probably just placebo effect. ;)
  8. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there's so much dislike for the auto-brightness feature. I find it much better than it was on my old Droid 2 Global, and find it near perfect. There's never a time when I've had a hard time seeing the screen or when it's been too bright.
  9. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Where?

I have turned auto-brightness off in sunlight on numerous occasions resulting in being able to read a screen I previously couldn't. This simply isn't true.
    shmn likes this.
  10. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

I've read this in a number of reviews and I myself have posted this "fact" on a number of occasion. However, after having the phone for a while now...and doing a bunch of comparison testing, I suspect that this may, in fact, be wrong.

There are many times I am outside and I have the manual brightness to set to max and I need more brightness so I switch to auto, but the screen gets dimmer. I thought it got brighter the first time I tried this but I think I weas wrong. So, I suspect this "factoid", which I helped propagate, is wrong. Sorry for posting erroneous information.

Here is the original thread: http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/724052-screen-way-too-dim-deal-killer-drat.html

Post #4 is where is I posted this info and post #10 is where I provided the reference link.
  11. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I don't like the lag in the stock autobrightness function. I've been using manual, but the drawback there is that when going from a dark to a light place, it's hard to see the screen well enough to adjust the slider.

I'm giving LUX lite (free) a try. If I like it, I'll buy the paid version.
  12. GrouchoM

GrouchoM Well-Known Member

Please report your finding here, speedlover.
  13. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

My problem is that stock auto brightness is too dim in low light. Using Lux, I have it set At 0lx to have the back light at 8%.
  14. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

I'm in the sun right now posting this, it's clearly brighter set to auto for me so I believe they are right.
  15. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

Mine reacts in a split second, and typically that time is just the lock screen in any event. I do notice it, but it doesn't bother me.