• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help auto deletes sms?

I recently upgraded to the new launcher pro, and backed up everything. I had several sms threads which we're 1100+ long. I had a pretty long conversation yesterday in one of those threads, and i saw today that theres only 200 sms left and the older messages we're deleted. How do i turn off the auto sms delete? and if i have the older sms messages on backup, is there a way to merge it back with whats on the phone?

thanks in advance!

Are you using any kind of SMS app or are you using the built in app? There are settings in almost all SMS apps for how long to keep messages. I use GO sms and I love it.

I would start by changing the settings to a longer length or possibly not delete SMS's entirely depending on the app.

Next step would be to find a decent SMS backup app on the market and get in the habit of backing up regularly or setting up a schedule.

I'm sorry I don't have much information by way of getting your old messages back but perhaps someone with more experience with the Hero could help you. It sounds like you may be using the messaging app that came with the phone.

Don't take this the wrong way at all, but unfortunately I think you just learned the first reason why regular backups are so important if its something you care about. Both on the PC and on the phone.

Upvote 0
thanks for the response. Actually my brother had given me the phone. I found out that in the messaging tab it was set to auto delete after a certain limit, I've turned it off. I also have the entire old thread backed up.

My question now is, is there anyway that i can merge the new thread i have now with the one backed up with MyBackup Pro? cause if i could than I'd have the entire thread as opposed to it in 2 pieces

Upvote 0
I would say yes. If it were me I would pull the backup files off the phone, provided they are in a format that a computer can read. If it is a singular file that is backed up you may be out of luck, as only the app will read that file.

If you can someway get the chat logs (all of them) onto the computer so you can edit in wordpad or something similar then you could manually merge them and then restore to the phone.

On the other hand you have backups of both so not all is lost?? You must have some hot new love interest you're texting or something lol. 1,000 messages thread!?

*edit this thread may help you some.

Upvote 0
haha theres actually 2 threads, but i just consider my self a really social person :D. Anyways yeah the that thread is good, and I've got all the old messages backed up with titanium backup as well as mybackup pro. I'm still looking for a method to merge the threads, ive also noticed this question gets asked alot so hopefully we can get a solution for everyone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones