• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Auto Dim of brightness is very persisten, even when turned off! Anyone else????

SamsungVibrant

Android Expert
Jul 23, 2010
Okay, So I have my brightness set to max, I have power saving mode turned OFF, yet when the battery starts to die down, the phone INSISTS on automatically setting the brightness to a lower setting.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just my phone?

Again...I have brightness set to max, power saving off...yet when my battery level gets really low, the darn phone insists that the brightness should be less, and decreases it for me automatically.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

spelling mistake, I meant persistent.

Okay, here's what I saw: I let the battery run down to about 15% and turned the screen brightness to 100%. It stayed at full brightness with no trouble while I switched between apps and played a game for a short period of time. Then I set the phone down and went to do other things.

I came back later to 7% battery charge. At that point, nothing I could do would bring the brightness back to 100%. It remained at a much lower brightness, though I can't give a %, from there on out. It wouldn't change at all when I went to the brightness setting to attempt to adjust it.

So, apparently the phone has a mind of its own and refuses adjustment after a certain point. I guess Samsung knows what's best for us, much like the government. :(

Reactions: SamsungVibrant
Upvote 0
:D:D:D - That's funny....

Yup... noticed the same thing.... I think its Sammy's way of extending what little life is left in the battery, as with Li-Ion batteries, its not a good idea to let them run down too low, other than for the first 3 charge/discharge cycles. After that, the battery lasts longer if you do partial charges instead....

Hope that helps.

Reactions: SamsungVibrant
Upvote 0
Bingo! Had the very same (annoying) thing happen to me twice today ... happened to be the first time I'd allowed my Vibrant's battery to discharge quite so far (I've only owned it less than a week, and just upgraded to KA6 a couple of days ago).

I was outside trying to view the display in full sun, and the screen was SO dim that I thought it was OFF. Checked my Settings and confirmed that I had the Brightness slider all the way to the far right, and "Auto" unchecked. The Brightness slider was unresponsive. Long-swiping the Notifications bar accomplished nothing, either.

Glad I found your post, because I wanted to be able to share this (what I consider to be a) FIX for the problem. At least this worked for me:

• Settings > Display > Brightness > Check the "Auto" button
  • Next, uncheck the "Auto" checkbox.
  • Screen/display should return to brightness level set by slider.

This procedure returned control of the brightness, and saved my bacon. I love my Vibrant (and the KA6 update, so far), and intend to remain "stock" for as long as possible (though I'm itching to try Ryan's OCLF or the Voodoo Lagfix + Bionix V if I ever change my mind).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones