• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

auto dimming bug?

swy05

Jan 26, 2012
Great phone but, it appears to be a bug with the screen dimming.

Regarding settings, I have everything turned off. Adapt display is off. Auto-brightness is off. Auto-adjust screen tone is off also.

I know Samsung displays dim if the phone overheats but my phone will auto-dim even if the phone is cool.

What I've found out is that the phone will only dim "permanently" when the screen is about to shut off.

For example: Set the screen shut off to 30 seconds and around the 28 second mark, the screen will dim for a couple of seconds before it shuts off. This is where the auto-dimming will "permanently" kick in. When the screen dims at the 28 second mark for a second, i'll touch the screen so it doesn't shut off. But by this time, the screen has dimmed already and won't go back to the regular brightness. I have to lock and unlock the phone for the dimmed screen to go away.

This scenario has happened every single time. Extremely annoying.

Anyone else experience this?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones