1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Auto-enable wlan only when available access point is in range?

Last Updated:

1. Irios

Irios Member This Topic's Starter

I have just recently moved from Nokia E75 to HTC Desire, and there are lots of stuff on the E75 that I will never miss... But, there are a couple of things I am missing very much, tho.

One thing was a very clever feature that saved a lot of battery...
    On my HTC Desire I have to leave wlan enabled at all time for the phone to utilize wireless at all, and I can see that it's consuming approx 20% of the battery power - even if no apps or widgets are accessing internet.

But on the Nokia E75 it's very different... The wlan is switched off by default, so whenever an application on the E75 needs a data connection (internet), it will quickly enable wlan and check to see if there are any networks nearby it can access, and then disable it again if it doesn't find any. (If no wlan access point is detected, it will go online using the mobile data connection automatically instead)

Does anyone know of any application that will do the same on Android?

Advertisement
  2. Pancake

Pancake Active Member

I use a desire, I use the widgit that lets you turn things on and off and i can just turn them on and off when i know they are in range. Not as flash as the E75 then but works just as good

3. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

4. Pancake

Pancake Active Member

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

Tasker can also turn on Wifi when a specified network is near, assuming that's what you mean by wlan.

6. Irios

7. Irios

But still, even with these suggestions, it doesnt solve my problem :)

Both Y5 and Tasker will leave wlan enabled all the time as long as it detects a nearby access point... or based on geographical location. This means that wlan will be running as long as I'm at home - and when I'm at the office. In other words, it has virtually no effect on battery saving as it would basically still be running all day long.

I want the wlan fully disabled as long as there's not application that needs it, and it want it to be re-enabled (automatically) when an app needs access to internet. And then disable it again when it's done.

Perhaps some other suggestions on more apps?

8. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Tasker can do that Irios.