1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Auto-focusSupport

1. raevin

raevin Member

Not sure what to classify/prefix this as.

I've found out that my device doesn't support auto-focus, but I'm kind of confused as to why or if this is just misinformation given to me.

I installed ZXing Scanner to scan barcodes and it wouldn't pick 'em up (but it had no issues w/ QR codes). So I installed another scanning app (Scan by Scan, Inc.) and it says that auto-focus is disabled for my device so it can't scan 1D barcodes [aka: regular barcodes]).

Anyone have any info on if it's possible to enable auto-focus or something?

Advertisement
    :
  2. mcgraham89

mcgraham89 Well-Known Member

That's one thing I noticed as well is that the camera sucks. I have been able to scan barcodes with the redlaser app but it's hit and miss at bet.
  3. raevin

raevin Member

I'll try that. I don't even care much about the camera to be honest (I didn't buy it for the camera), but I like being able to eliminate the 1-5 minutes it takes to type in products names in Google to search, lol.
  4. Pondering

Pondering Well-Known Member

Any work arounds for auto focus? I'd like to be able to use a doc scanner app such as CamScanner.
  5. raevin

raevin Member

So far no, because auto-focus is a hardware issue not software.
  6. Etorgg

Etorgg New Member

I should be recieving my Rise Tuesday, it's Saturday now. 'Will be my first smart phone. 'Have been building desktop PCs for over decade.

So, I've been reading a lot of reviews/previews for this phone. One review, page 6 or 7 I believe... Review: Kyocera Rise for Sprint : Camera (Phone Scoop) quotes... "The Rise doesn't have autofocus nor touch-to-focus, so it takes pictures fairly fast."

This phone seems almost too good to be true, for me. My main reason for getting it (well, besides replacing my gameboyadvance) is, to replace my dialup internet connection for my home PC. 'Have been using a dumb-phone on Virgin Mobile's net for about 6-7 yrs...they seem like at least a decent company to work with...albeit no 4G where I live.

So, the day I recieve delivery, and have the battery charged up...I'm gonna walk 4-5 blocks to near my downtown, and a free hotspot area. Then, I'll be looking into paying the $35/mo for the...uhm...unlimited data plan...then, the extra $15/mo for the ability to connect my home PC to this phone's connection.

A report on that later into the/an appropriate thread.

'Nice to see others interest in this phone. Have a great day.
  7. mcgraham89

mcgraham89 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums. For $99 I think you'll like the phone. Jmz, has also ordered one to play with and he's done some great work for the CM9/CM10 custom ROM community. Hopefully we'll see a root hack and a custom ROM down the pike.
  8. incrstorm

incrstorm New Member

plain sucks.

I sell phones. Phones cameras Actually, i not only SELL cameras, i but
  9. daffyducknj

daffyducknj Well-Known Member

I use Google goggles with this phone for product/UPC/QR scans. It seems to get around the Rise's lack of autofocus fairly well for me.