Auto Restart Problem and a couple newbie questions

Last Updated:

1. spydermn

spydermn Member This Topic's Starter

1. Yesterday was the first day that I have used my 4G service. I have had such terrible battery life running normal stuff (and those dang sprint auto loads:mad:).

ANYWAY, long story getting shorter, last night I had an issue with my phone auto-restarting after it was on for only long enough to get to the search for 4g coverage. WTF?!?

So I went through and did a fully hard reset on the phone and thanks to MyBackupPro (great app! best money spent!) I lost nothing including MOST of my settings (lost general ring tone, txt tone and a couple other fixes). this fixed the issue

Anybody else have this issue or was it just a glitch?

Now to the newbie questions:

2. I know that I can root my phone to get rid of the Sprint Autoload crap, but I am not really confidant in my abilities. Are there any apps that will kill the Sprintware at start up so I can get a longer battery life (and that won't screw up everything like the killer apps)?

3. Where can I go besides settings>apps> Manage apps to find out what is running an kill it to save battery life? Ahen I go to man. apps. I have to look through each one to see what it running and force stop it. it there an easier way?

4. I have yahoo plus. can I set up push mail for this? If so can you give me a link as to how? I cannot find one (I really am not a search guru like some. I try but am not all that successful.)

5. Is there a list anywhere of good/bad/error prone apps?

Advertisement
  2. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

The sprint stuff doesn't really do anything to your battery if you don't run it. Don't worry about tasks in memory. They aren't really running as you may think.

3. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Well let's start here: what are you getting out of your Battery on a daily basis? What is your Up Time and your Awake time as well as your time since unplugged and battery percentage? Next what are you running constantly? Do you have 4g, GPS, running? How is your 3G and voice signal most of the time? Are you using Auto Brightness on your phone? How often are your Facebook, Twitter, Weather, Stocks, News, and other accounts syncing? Do you have Always on Mobile Data on? See these things affect your battery life.... Apps in the background that are actually not doing anything aren't.

4. spydermn

I have to charge it at least twice per day after it is taken off the plug when I leave in the am
    :confused:

Do you have 4g - yes but not cosisantly, do not run it much
    GPS running - yes
    How is your 3G and voice signal most of the time? - meh, ok
    Are you using Auto Brightness - yes
    How often are your Facebook, Twitter, Weather, Stocks, News, and other accounts syncing - only facebook
    Do you have Always on Mobile Data on - :confused:
    See these things affect your battery life.... Apps in the background that are actually not doing anything aren't - I try to force stop as much as possible but the damn things keep poping up

5. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Ok as for your Uptime and Awake time and time since unplugged.. Go to Menu then Settings then About Phone then Battery. Here you will see your Up Time (which is the amount of time since you last turned the phone on) And Awake time which is how long you have used the phone since reboot. If the Uptime and the Awake time are very close or the same then you have an App that is keeping your phone awake. Now click on Battery use and it will show you how long it has been since you unplugged from a power source and give you a basic breakdown of what is being used.
    Next turn GPS off via the GPS toggle widget when you are not using it
    Go to Accounts and Sync under settings and select Facebook. Uncheck Sync Live Feed and then select account settings. Change your update schedule to once per day. Facebook syncing kills the battery right now and a fix is coming for it
    Now go to Wireless and Networks under Settings and then click on Mobile Networks Set options for roaming, networks and uncheck Enable always-on Mobile Data.
    Try all of the above and stop using a Task Killer and see if any of it helps. You may have to do a Hard Reset though

spydermn likes this.
  6. spydermn

Removed task killer immediacy after joining this forum (the 2nd day I had the evo). Going to do the things you said plus last night I did all of the things in this thread that I could do last night - Possible Battery Fix from HTC

Thanks for the help

7. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Fyi, GPS a huge battary killer. Get rid of it unless absolutely needed.