• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Auto rotate stopped working for the homescreen

I believe it started when I was downloading a lot of apps, trying to find a task list widget I like. The Pure Calendar App said it would work with a modified version of Astrid Task list, which I downloaded from their site and installed. Ever since then, even after uninstalling Pure Calendar and the Modified Astrid, auto rotate still won't work. Have I screwed up my phone? :(

I found another thread where a person said doing a factory reset fixed it. But I have a LOT of apps, a number of which I paid for, will a factory reset make me lose all of my apps? I mean, I know they'll be deleted, but is there something on the sim card or something that remembers which apps I've downloaded, like the downloads page in Android market? Or will I be starting from scratch (paid apps and all)? Or has someone found another solution that fixes this?

What are you running on your phone? standard out of the box no mods?? I would say if so you should try uninstalling the apps you installed around the time it stopped working. also look into some sort of task manager so you can see if any other program is running that may be controlling the autoswitch.

And double check the settings, try turning the feature off and then rebooting then turning it on to see if it might work.

Be able to help more with more information.

Upvote 0
What are you running on your phone? standard out of the box no mods?? I would say if so you should try uninstalling the apps you installed around the time it stopped working. also look into some sort of task manager so you can see if any other program is running that may be controlling the autoswitch.

And double check the settings, try turning the feature off and then rebooting then turning it on to see if it might work.

Be able to help more with more information.

I'm running 1.6, no modifications at all. I've already uninstalled the apps I had when this happened, I checked that the orientation setting is on (auto-rotate works within apps, but just not on the homescreen.) I've turned it off and back on again. I've turned off the phone and turned it back on. I'm nore sure what else to do other than a reset. It would be a real bummer if I did a reset and it didn't work, I'd lose all my apps for nothing. I haven't checked task manager yet. I'll go do that now...

Upvote 0
Auto rotate simply doesn't work on the home screen.
the only time the home screen rotates is when you pull out the keyboard.
otherwise the home screen won't rotate.
I know it feels kinda weird when trying to start an app with the screen rotated, but it can't be helped

But the homescreen was able to autorotate before that, I thought for sure it did! When I first bought it it didn't, but then one of the over the air updates fixed it and it had autorotate. I thought for sure my home screen auto rotated...didn't it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones