auto update for android marketSupport

Last Updated:

1. ilovesunflower

ilovesunflower Active Member This Topic's Starter

what give me name program of auto-update from Android Market, than check update, i want auto-update forever how tell me?

Advertisement
  2. dbpaddler

dbpaddler Well-Known Member

what do you want to auto update? I don't think any program will automatically update itself, but if you go into the market and click on "my downloads", it'll show you the programs you have downloaded and if there are updates available for them. Just click on the ones that say "update available" and then click on update.

3. souljah335

souljah335 Well-Known Member

I think he is asking for an app that allows you to automaticaly update all of your applications without going into my downloads.

4. ilovesunflower

Yes, you are right, u do know where is name download app market? i want automatically updated all of download w/o going into my download so i'm tired ha, how tell me name app ?

5. souljah335

Sorry I am not aware of any app that exists that could help you.

6. ilovesunflower

okey no plms...

7. dbpaddler

that was kind of my point. you have to go in and manually do it. Can't imagine it's such a tedious task. Don't know if I'd want that to happen anyway. God forbid an update is buggy or causes problems. if it happened automatically it could create problems.

8. souljah335

Yea but I agree that the option should still be there.

9. dbpaddler

I can't imagine something like that being high on a priority list of things to add or fix. Too many other things in Android that need to be addressed, like copy/paste from a webpage, pim updates, UI improvements and such.

10. Silverexpress

Silverexpress Well-Known Member

You definitely do not want autoupdates. Just look at the recent update for Handscent sms. Dated 11/22.

11. dbpaddler

Yep. Couldn't type a damn thing in quick reply with that newest update.

12. Silverexpress

Silverexpress Well-Known Member

In regards to Handcent, developer has fixed the latest issue. Seems to be working fine now.

13. dbpaddler

good to know, though I switched to Chomp after that snafu. Works just as well from my experience so far.

14. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

Auto-update can create a lot of problems. If you like to be a beta tester then it may work for you, but there's no way I'd want auto-update.

15. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

If I see an update available, I'm going to download it. I am not going to wait, go hunt out the devs website to see what changed, or wait for forum messages describing a new bug with the update.

Might as well do it automatically.

16. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

You don't understand how the Android updates work. Under Downloads your apps are listed, and if there are any apps, it will tell you, just like the iPhone app store. Can't be any simpler. Typically the apps will describe what the updates are as well, so you can decide if it's worthwhile to update or not.

Read here about the complexities Android developers face when developing apps: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/11/android-fragmentation/

I wouldn't want to update an app that works perfectly on my phone, only to get an update that fixes a bug on another phone, and have more lines of code / space taken up on my Android phone.

This is not like Windows / iPhone. An update may not be a good thing for your particular Android phone.

17. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

I understand clearly. :) Still doesn't change the fact that an auto update would be nice. For me.

18. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

19. Scottyent

Scottyent Well-Known Member

Hahah as Craig already said, he clearly understands...you are the one who misunderstood what he was saying. UNlike the iPhone, there is no update ALL button, or a function to auto update applications. Maybe you wouldn't like to update an app that works perfectly, but there are many many people out there, including myself, that update whenever an update is possible. Even updates that I've heard caused "bugs," for the must part, I've never experienced any decline in usage after an update, and if I do and it isn't fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I'll just get another application to do what I want. So yes, devs face issues, but the consumers inherit these issues. The reality is if we don't like it, or its buggy too often, we won't download it. We'll stay loyal to a dev that we know is working hard on fixing issues, and for that same reason, a lot of people update right away because they trust the dev to fix any issues that might arise. And also, downloading immediately also means helping the dev run their latest versions so you can report any errors.

20. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member

i totally agree, when an update aval, i dont have the time to go to the dev site and see what he changed, i am doing all the updates and totally wish there was an update all button like on the iphone.

21. Toth

Toth New Member

I too would like an All Update option or app.

22. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

Holy old thread batman.... lol

I would never allow anything to auto update personally. I always watch for the bugs to show up first and see if it's something I can live with before I let anything update.

At least you're using the search feature. :p

23. jasonacg

jasonacg Well-Known Member

It will be in Android 2.2, which means we won't get that option on the Moment.

24. mrmojoz

mrmojoz Well-Known Member

Using the AppBrain application makes doing multiple updates a lot easier.

25. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

Since getting official FroYo I'm no longer getting notifications for Market app updates, even though this option is checked. I've restarted the phone and I'm still not getting them. They worked fine with Eclair.