• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto use wifi instead of data plan?

Hi, just wondered if there is an app that automatically detects when I'm near my wifi and uses that to send emails, post to facebook etc instead of my data plan?

Thanks, Lol

If you have both Wi-Fi and Packet Data enabled it will be the Wi-Fi that takes preference, although I'm not sure if that is the case when out using someone else's Wi-Fi.

Upvote 0
Have no fear, keithwjones, wi-fi quite definitely takes preference over network data. Once you've built up a list of 'friendly wi-fi hotspots', (local pubs etc) you can get by without the data switched on if you really want to. There's an app called 3G Watchdog which you can programme with your monthly data allowance and its renewal date, which tracks the use of your precious megabytes in a simple graphical format, i.e if the 'data thermometer' is racing ahead of the 'days expired thermometer', you need to ease off to avoid charges. It produces separate figures, splitting them into 'via wifi' and 'via network' so you can see the bit that's going to cost you money.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones