1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Auto use wifi instead of data plan?General

1. Lol999

Lol999 Member

Hi, just wondered if there is an app that automatically detects when I'm near my wifi and uses that to send emails, post to facebook etc instead of my data plan?

Thanks, Lol

Advertisement
    :
  2. richsausage

richsausage Member

You could use an app called llama to work out when you're at a location with usable WiFi (home, friends house, etc.) and turn your WiFi on. Llama is great, by the way. I use it for making my phone quiet automatically at work and making my phone turn stuff off when the battery falls below a certain level.
  3. Lol999

Lol999 Member

Thanks, appreciate it!
  4. pm5544

pm5544 Well-Known Member

If you have both Wi-Fi and Packet Data enabled it will be the Wi-Fi that takes preference, although I'm not sure if that is the case when out using someone else's Wi-Fi.
  5. keithwjones

keithwjones Member

Are you sure that Wi-Fi has preference over Packets? I have read that it is the other way around, with people losing their credit.

Keith
  6. pm5544

pm5544 Well-Known Member

Hi Keith,

It certainly takes preference on my phone.
    keithwjones likes this.
  7. keithwjones

keithwjones Member

I'm new to this phone, so still learning. I am impressed so far.

Keith
  8. securespark

securespark Member

Mine as well.
  9. billynibbles

billynibbles Active Member

Have no fear, keithwjones, wi-fi quite definitely takes preference over network data. Once you've built up a list of 'friendly wi-fi hotspots', (local pubs etc) you can get by without the data switched on if you really want to. There's an app called 3G Watchdog which you can programme with your monthly data allowance and its renewal date, which tracks the use of your precious megabytes in a simple graphical format, i.e if the 'data thermometer' is racing ahead of the 'days expired thermometer', you need to ease off to avoid charges. It produces separate figures, splitting them into 'via wifi' and 'via network' so you can see the bit that's going to cost you money.