Autocorrect / predictive... not always present?

Last Updated:

1. marco712

marco712 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is this normal in your Heroes? My predictive text/auto correct only seems to work in a few select areas like messaging and youtube. In the android market or the google search bar widget it's non existent! you have to type really slowly and accurately to get the right words... it's maddening!:eek:

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

Should work in all areas.

3. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

it doesn't work in some areas such as the market search and i think typing a url in hte default browser.

Not sure why, but my best guess is because this is where you probably type words that are not part of the english language, still annoying though.

4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Doesn't seem to effect alternative keyboard apps, fortunately.

Always bugged me that the space bar disapeared when typing in the url/search box on the browsers, since 99 times out of 100 I search for things rather than type the whole url.

5. marco712

marco712 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

damn.. that's kind of crappy to hear...Are there any alternative keyboard apps that are better than the stock HTC one?

6. Xyro

An alternative standard keyboard is Better Keyboard, but I haven't that so I can't really say if it's better.

There are also keyboards such as Swype, Shapewriter and SlideIT, where you input text by dragging your finger over each letter in the word, rather than actually tapping each one. I use Swype (closed beta at the moment) and find it way easier than the stock keyboard.

7. Xyro

What a coincidence. A tweaked version of the HTC keyboard was just posted on the Modaco forums:

HTC_IME Keyboard v19 with Voice Input - Android @ MoDaCo

Lots of improvements and changes, but here are the ones that stood out :p

* Prediction in fields with own suggestions (search bar etc.)
    * Prediction in fields that sets the filter flag
    * Prediction in URL fields
    * Enable a space bar key in URL keyboard (experimental)

It looks like, in theory, you can just install the new keyboard as an app. However, it seems you might have to remove the original keyboard first, which requires root access. Only one person has replied so far so I can't say if everyone will have to.